The JBL Monitor Sound - Technically

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Everyone,

So I'm hoping we have a little different type of discussion. We talk a lot about schematics, and math and farads. Sometimes we talk about the perception of sound quality, and how this relates to measurements, but not often enough for me. :)

So here's my question. JBL studio monitors have a rather characteristic sound quality to them, especially from the 90s.

Is there a specific characteristic which makes them so? Could we take an EQ and make other speakers sound like those, or no? How would you go about capturing that sound, if you couldn't use JBL parts?

Best,

Erik

Those are what I meant in the 44XX series. The 4430 and 4435’s are large format monitors and true studio monitors at that.

Some of my friends say most of my sound systems have the same sound signature. Personally I would call it dynamic accuracy.

I just wanted to clarify if you were thinking about near field monitors or large format monitors.

How do you characterize the sound of these? What is it about them that you like?

Barry.

High efficiency "wide" range (or did you mean "full")?

High efficiency "wide" range? (or did you mean "full")?

High efficiency full range drivers cannot play at the "you are there" dynamic volume JBL is famous for (for the music I listen to), and automatically are disqualified from a seat at the table for discussing what I think is the major thrust of the JBL Large Format Sound. Explosive dynamics do not emanate from 6 or 8 inch full range drivers simply because they cannot play at "you are there" levels.

Said differently, "dynamic volume" has a quality all its own.

IMHO

Well, if all the JBL speakers have the same kind of sound, then I'd look whats common in all those speakers, is it the bass, mid or tweeter? Per example, if we were looking at this subject regarding ATC monitors, then the midrange is what I'd focus on.

If they don't have any drivers shared at all, then it must be a crossover related (voicing) thing, and indeed it might be recreatable using EQ.

I haven't heard any of the JBL speakers at all, they're not popular at all where I live, so I can't elaborate on the sound. By the looks of those speakers, I would think distortion in the woofers might be the clue as to what creates this type of sound. Second harmonics can be perceived as sounding 'nice', people say. Producers often add harmonics to get their music to sound more 'nice' or 'warm'.

It'd be easy if this characteristics were to be measured.

Well, if all the JBL speakers have the same kind of sound, then I'd look whats common in all those speakers, is it the bass, mid or tweeter?

.... I would think distortion in the woofers might be the clue as to what creates this type of sound. Second harmonics can be perceived as sounding 'nice', people say. Producers often add harmonics to get their music to sound more 'nice' or 'warm'.

It'd be easy if this characteristics were to be measured.

I am not picking on you but I cut you up just to make a couple of points:

One commonality is truly high quality low distortion drivers, voiced for accuracy.

The second paragraph is an example of what a true studio monitor is not. They are professional tools for a professional trade. They are not voiced to sound nice, they are voiced to be as accurate as the tecnology for the time would allow. Most are designed to be soffit mounted above the studio control room window and of course sound different when on the floor and away from walls.

I hear it said often that these speakers are clinical, lean and sterile. Personally I like them very much. Maybe it’s an aquired taste.

I know one thing for sure, I wouldn’t want a scope or any other measurment gear that lied to me.

Barry.

Last edited:
Robbin,

JBL has a house sound that has been produced with a lot of different drivers. They DO however tend to be horns, and while they have made many different horns, that part is often true.

Best,

E

I have some of JBL’s Luxury Home line speakers and they are voiced differently for sure with a small LF boost that tapers out by about 200Hz and rolls off gently up high even though some have tweeters that go straight to 40k.

What they have in common with the large format monitors is efficiency, they get up and go when you give them the power.

Dynamics, clarity and the ability to play loud, reliably. Many who first hear the 4350’s are astounded at the impact they deliver but that is a requirement if you really want to aproach the sound of live music.

Barry.

Robbin,

JBL has a house sound that has been produced with a lot of different drivers. They DO however tend to be horns, and while they have made many different horns, that part is often true.

Best,

E

You are right - many other speakers which spawned from the JBL monitor sound - Westlake , Augspergers and even some Ureis have the horn + woofer combo and they tend to have similar voicing . I havent heard Kinoshitas in the flesh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.