Dipole Bessel Array

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My last project was building a Nao Note II RS after many possitive open baffle experiments. I like the Nao Note II RS a lot, when I crank them up is like being at the venue.

Over the past 10 years I have ammased lots of drivers and gadjets for more experiments, too many :)

During that time I acquired aprox 130 Sawafuji dipole tweeters that I have used for many experiments. I made headphones out of a pair of them. Ive always wanted to make an array and now I am motivated to do so.

For the Nao Note I am using a Najda DSP and purchased a pair of Outlaw Audio 5 channel amplifiers. I am quite happy with both.

I am looking to build a a 2 way or three way depending on array arrangement. The lows some type of eq'd sealed unit and try to cross it as low as the array can handle.

Have 50 units available for each speaker and was thinking a 5x5 Array for the Highs and a unshaded 5x5 array for the low mid to get the most out of the "tweeter". As headphone elements they sound quite good.

I have read threads about Bessel arrays but none mention dipole elements. Would the shadded array also display single source dipole behaviour?

Am I better off using 4 channels of the DSP and doing something else shadingwise? The fifth channel is reserved for the lows.

Or am I better off with a 2 way with all 50 connected unshaded as a single panel?

Attachments

• IMG_0646.jpg
    IMG_0646.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 385
  • bessel array.jpg
    bessel array.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 356
Hi, this kind of arrayed baffle works as monopole, but you will get in serious trouble with dipole.

Dipolic radiation pattern is determined by baffle dimensions vs. wavelength. If a baffle like that is say 15" wide, it will radiate as symmetric dipole only sideways up to 1000 Hz. Size and number of drivers is irrelevant below that. Above that you will get extreme directivity and a jungle of interferences if all drivers radiate. In vertical dimension this is exaggearated!

A 2-way with the center drivers highpassed gives better frontal directivity, but radiation pattern is not exactly dipole or constant any more. Just like with large panel speakers... and many poeple like that. I am sure that the sound will be different from NaOs! How well these work in a room is yet another story.

This was just theoretisizing, please make a test mule and report your findings!

Thanks Juhazi,

You are right, I will have to experiment. Started, will try getting horizontal responses at multiple angels to see how it behaves.

I already put some music through it and the tweeters sound like a mid. I had done tests a while back with a paraline array and it it went down to around 400 hz. Not sure if the full dipole cancelation is there, I have them in the Kitchen and the music is everywhere, when I stand at the 90 degree position the cancellation is not as obvious, it actually sounds like a pseudo stereo. Pretty sure I am hearing the reflection.

Next some measurements.

Attachments

• sawafuji 5 bessel array.JPG
    sawafuji 5 bessel array.JPG
    349.4 KB · Views: 283
First quick measurement

To my surprise, it is omni. Thats is why i heard music everywhere. Will do it a second time to see if the results are the same. BTW, nothing fancy, measuring inside the house, away from walls and at 45 degrees,back points to a hallway.

Attachments

• 5h bessel array measurement#1.jpg
    5h bessel array measurement#1.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 272
You are correct. Wayyy looong. I always do polar measurements outside.

This is how it looks gated. There is diminishing spl as the angle changes. This weekend I am going to do the measurments outside in an open space.

Attachments

• 5h bessel gated inside.jpg
    5h bessel gated inside.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 178
Outside measurements today. The gated and non gated are not that far off

The room in the house is aprox 22 feet wide x 45 feet long

BTW had a listening session with the NAO II RS on friday, volume high enough as if you were there in the venue, awesome!:D Listening standing up (while dancing) in the middle of the room.

I might just give it a go an make one of the arrays with 50 units, maybe 60. I have to figure out the best series/parallel combination.

Attachments

• 5h bessel polars outside smoothed.jpg
    5h bessel polars outside smoothed.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 5h bessel outside gated.jpg
    5h bessel outside gated.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 62
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.