What parameters characterize 15" woofer for HIFI?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2008
Paid Member
A 15 inch for use in a hi-eff 3 way

Here you go. Not exactly cheap, but, then again, not uber-expensive either.

Again this is NOT a hi-fi driver, but if limited to a 3-way, this type of driver will yield superior sound quality.

It's not too difficult to choose a driver, but good luck figuring out how to build an enclosure for use 35-500Hz, that does not have a boxy signature.

FaitalPRO | LF Loudspeakers | 15PR400

(or, the one below, at an even higher cost, larger box, but even better performance):

Faital Pro 15FH520 Speakers - Faital Pro 15FH520 bass guitar and PA speaker that has a lightweight neodymium magnet - Faital Pro 15FH520 1,200 watt high efficiency of 98dB SPL woofer for all high power mid-bass and bass applications. Faital Pro 15FH5

Last edited:
sootboots... The Eminence Neo Deltalite II 2515. Have used it... meets the published specs except is usually ends up with an FS around 40.5 or so after break in. Weighs less than 6 lb. A much over looked ported enclosure Hi-Fi woofer. Trooles has some nice things to say about it in his OBL-11 build.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Eminence Deltalite II 2515 Neo 15" Speaker Driver

$160 sounds too good to be true. What are they?

Thanks,
Jp

sootboots... The Eminence Neo Deltalite II 2515. Have used it... meets the published specs except is usually ends up with an FS around 40.5 or so after break in. Weighs less than 6 lb. A much over looked ported enclosure Hi-Fi woofer. Trooles has some nice things to say about it in his OBL-11 build.

https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/290-595--eminence-deltalite-ii-2515-specifications.pdf

The 15" Eminence Deltalite is used in the DIY Sound Group Fusion 15 Sentinel in concert with the SEOS 15 horn and Denovo DNA-360 compression driver. A bit over a year ago I built a home theater for an acquaintance using the speaker as the L/C/R channels. Listening to them in stereo configuration in my listening room at length prior to their installation, I was taken by the clean presentation, solid imaging and excellent dynamics offered by such an inexpensive design. Low level resolution was very good, even compared to several highly regarded small monitors. Dialog rendition was natural and different ADR styles were easily detected without becoming distracting. First octave bass requires integration with a subwoofer, but I found the speaker alone sufficient for nearly any music. A 15" two-way speaker can sound surprisingly good!

Here you go. Not exactly cheap, but, then again, not uber-expensive either.

Again this is NOT a hi-fi driver, but if limited to a 3-way, this type of driver will yield superior sound quality.

It's not too difficult to choose a driver, but good luck figuring out how to build an enclosure for use 35-500Hz, that does not have a boxy signature.

FaitalPRO | LF Loudspeakers | 15PR400

(or, the one below, at an even higher cost, larger box, but even better performance):

Faital Pro 15FH520 Speakers - Faital Pro 15FH520 bass guitar and PA speaker that has a lightweight neodymium magnet - Faital Pro 15FH520 1,200 watt high efficiency of 98dB SPL woofer for all high power mid-bass and bass applications. Faital Pro 15FH5

Both Brilliant drivers!

Very interesting thread! I like the early posts highlighting for home use EBP should be around 80 or less, and Fs/Qms relation to be 4 or less. I find most of 15" woofers designed for hifi bass are typically within this range.

One question to those who had experience with the Faital 15PR400 mentioned in this thread. How does it perform at low listening levels, e.g. evening/night listening? Can it play low in about 130 liter enclosure netto?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.