Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Capacitor to protect Tweeter in active speaker, cheap or quality?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th March 2018, 05:44 AM   #11
DPH is offline DPH  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Why not use a lower value capacitor and use it (I think as asusliver was saying) as part of the crossover? This would "require" a high quality cap, but at a lower capacitance the cost increase wouldn't be as much, and a lower value will better protect the tweeter.
Yup, make it one of the poles of the tweeter crossover, then measure the tweeter/design the DSP xover with the cap in place and design around it, as I'm sure it'll be close enough to work just fine. Provides the most protection of any solution, too. Use a quality cap.
Old 14th March 2018, 06:38 AM   #12
mikes875 is offline mikes875  Australia
diyAudio Member

Sounds like the best option, especially to keep the cost down. What size would you recommend, the DSP allows for 24 db high pass slope so a 6 db(?) slope from the cap is going to start having an impact if too close to the active crossover frequency isn't it? (I am not that knowledgeable on crossover design that is why I decided to go DSP).

Looking at local suppliers I can get "18uF 700V Mundorf Supreme EVO Oil". Using the crossover calculator mentioned above that is about 1100 Hz.
Old 14th March 2018, 07:00 AM   #13
DPH is offline DPH  United States
diyAudio Member

No I mean *to* have it impact on the active crossover! Use any of the thousand freebie crossover simulators for your tweeter driver impedance curve and "design" a 1st order to be a little lower than your target 4th order Xover. Ultimately you'll end up with 3rd order DSP and a 1st order passive.
Old 14th March 2018, 08:31 AM   #14
mikes875 is offline mikes875  Australia
diyAudio Member

I see, in that case I might just get a few cheap ones test the resulting response curve with my tweeters and then once I work out the best fit buy a couple of quality ones of just that uF value.

From what I have read they can be used in parallel to add up to different values for testing purposes (e.g. 12uF + 6uF = 18uF etc). Can buy 1,3,6,12,24 for not too much and that will allow almost any sensible value.
Old 14th March 2018, 03:29 PM   #15
ErnieM is offline ErnieM  United States
diyAudio Member

Never had any problems in prosound with direct connections. Built in protection circuits seem to get the job done.
Old 14th March 2018, 03:57 PM   #16
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

I would say, compromise. Mundorf MKP are good solutions, and reasonably priced. Clarity ESA is also a good choice, slightly pricier.

Avoid Axon/SCR/Solen in that price range.
Old 14th March 2018, 04:27 PM   #17
etalon90 is offline etalon90  Canada
diyAudio Member

Used to use a $$$ Mundorf Supreme as protection for my tweeter in an active setup similar to your description (2x oversized) till I tough that using a fusible would create no phase shift at all and still protect the tweeter...

The $0.25 fuse blew the Mundorf apart like it was a cheap electrolytic.

I'm using 0.75A fusible and it protect the tweeter (95db efficient) as good as a capacitor given you have no DC offset from upstream.

0.3A and 0.5A fuse induced loss as the resistance of the fusible filament was a tad too high for my application and the fuse acted like a low value resistor.

Try it, it will beat any capacitor anybody can possibly suggest.

Let me know your results
Old 14th March 2018, 04:46 PM   #18
LewinskiH01 is offline LewinskiH01  Argentina
diyAudio Member

How woukd the fuse behave if you have a problem upstream and low frequencies were sent to the tweeter amp? Would the tweeter survive 0.3A of 100Hz signal?
Old 14th March 2018, 05:12 PM   #19
asuslover is offline asuslover  Romania
diyAudio Member

The cap does not function as an overcurrent protection.
Old 14th March 2018, 05:41 PM   #20
sangram is offline sangram  India
diyAudio Member

I usually use a very large electrolytic with a small value film in parallel. The electrolytic is large enough to not affect the tweeter's passband, so a value of 80-100uF is usually sufficient, with a 10-15uF film cap. Never noticed a sonic issue compared to direct connection in either distortion, FR or phase.

With a cap in the passband plus active filtering, you are essentially manipulating the phase response of the speaker so it can be done but it's not something you can eyeball and get right, math is needed. Servos, PTCs and fusibles all work well for protection as do lightbulbs, all have been used for similar tasks. But all have their own drawbacks and quirks, so choose your poison.

Capacitor to protect Tweeter in active speaker, cheap or quality?Hide this!Advertise here!