Advice on drivers for dipole speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Someone at a Dutch forum posted a link to this "coming" unit:

SB Acoustics :: 12” SB34NRX75-16

It looks really nice: I like the 11mm xmax with only 72gr mass (I am looking for a 12" that can go up to 400Hz). BUT I dont know when it is coming: I wrote SBacoustics twice and also one of their resellers, but neither came back with an answer. Well, I have some other 20 projects to finish in the meantime :) :)

.... and ended with B&G Neo3PDR open back and turned 90¤. The difference in sound is noticable. It is because of different radiation pattern and it's effect on decayed response!

Peerless SLS12" should be a very good lower mid driver! My choice Beyma 12" midwoofer isn't perfect, but it looks sexy when nude!

How is the horizontal dispersion with the Neo3's that way? If three people sits on a couch, is there acceptable sound in the mid-seat only?
And how will it blend with a 5" cone mid?

Your 12" isn't perfect, do you mean the peerless would be better? (Is there some clues that could be read from the T/S parameters?)
Edit: And your chioce of not crossing over to the twelves lower than 160-180, has nothing to do with you felt stressing the Xmax of the driver? You just preferred the sound of the downfiring subs up to 160?

Last edited:
The horizontal dispersion of 90¤ turned Neo3 is narrower above 5kHz yes, but I can't hear treble attenuation if I move sideways. But I have bad hearing of highs. Nobody has complaníned about that either. A 5" cone is already beaming at 4kHz, dispersion should matc well. Ofcourse one can put the Neo3PDR's slot vertically, but difference is marginal!
These are things that like adason said, you must try and listen to yourself! Prototyping is the most fun part of diy!
511528d1446111408-aino-gradient-collaborative-speaker-project-ainogneo83-v4c-bh4-polar-jpg

My 12" Beyma is a midwoofer, it has quite low Xmax and distortion becomes a problem easily, because heavy dipole compensation is needed below 200Hz. I hope that is shines between 200-800Hz, where most of fundamental notes and human voice work.

I decided to have a monopole (omni?) subwoofer because of the original Gradient has that. Another reason is the amount of Xmax and Sd required to get decent spl from 30Hz up from a dipole. It is also very tricky to position well in the room. My system works so well that I am totally happy for the bass quality and capacity. I don't even have an urge to try a dipole (sub)woofer, and not enough space to position it well.

Someone at a Dutch forum posted a link to this "coming" unit:

SB Acoustics :: 12” SB34NRX75-16

It looks really nice: I like the 11mm xmax with only 72gr mass (I am looking for a 12" that can go up to 400Hz). BUT I dont know when it is coming: I wrote SBacoustics twice and also one of their resellers, but neither came back with an answer. Well, I have some other 20 projects to finish in the meantime :) :)

These were now released and I ordered 4 units. There is some pictures (not mine) over here:
Goede 12 inchers voor Dipole/Open baffle - Pagina 5 - forum.zelfbouwaudio.nl

Mundorf AMT17D2.2 Dipole Air Motion Tweeter

The Mundorf AMT's linked above are intended for dipole operation. There is not much information on their application on the net. At least that was the case until a guy who posts on the Linkwitz forum bought a pair and did some acoustic measurements on them. Two things that stood out were--

(1) The dipole like directivity was maintained up to the 8 to 10 KHz region, which was very surprising considering the dimensions of the device.

(2) The intermodulation distortion products were much lower than typical dome tweeters.

Encouraged by these findings I have made a modified upper baffle for my LX521's and installed the AMT's just above the upper mid driver. The tweeter XO frequency was lowered to 3.4 KHz. Although this was in the nature of an experiment there will be no going back to the dome tweeters.

Unfortunately you need to be a registered Linkwitz design user to get into the experimental part of the forum where these tweeters were being discussed.

Keith

Quick simulation suggests constant dipole pattern up to 6-7kHz. Frame or other attachments will make some harm anyway. Practically as good as can be. matching with midrange's pattern is critical.

I recommend dipole tweeter anyway, but the snappiness of transients will disappear. They dont sound like loudspeakers usually do ;)

Mundorf AMT17D2.2 Dipole Air Motion Tweeter

The Mundorf AMT's linked above are intended for dipole operation. There is not much information on their application on the net. At least that was the case until a guy who posts on the Linkwitz forum bought a pair and did some acoustic measurements on them. Two things that stood out were--

(1) The dipole like directivity was maintained up to the 8 to 10 KHz region, which was very surprising considering the dimensions of the device.

(2) The intermodulation distortion products were much lower than typical dome tweeters.

Encouraged by these findings I have made a modified upper baffle for my LX521's and installed the AMT's just above the upper mid driver. The tweeter XO frequency was lowered to 3.4 KHz. Although this was in the nature of an experiment there will be no going back to the dome tweeters.

Unfortunately you need to be a registered Linkwitz design user to get into the experimental part of the forum where these tweeters were being discussed.

Keith

These are the units I want to use together with the B&G NEO10. Good to read that actual measurements and subjective impressions are indeed good!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.