Mixing Impedences

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, Everyone.

Sort of a noob here so I am trying to learn as much as I can. One thing I'm unclear on is mixing impedance. For example, can I have a 8ohm tweeter with 4 ohm drivers? Can I have an 8ohm tweeter with two 6ohm woofers wired in series to produce 3ohms for those woofers?

I'm designing my first set of loudspeakers and also additional speakers for surround sound and I'm trying to get everything to play nice.

Let me know what I can search for how this all works.
Joey

Hi, it's always a good idea to start reading a good book on the subject. Investing in one written by David B. Weems is probably well spent money. Otherwise you can find online a lot of information and formulae on Ohms law for dc and ac circuits that will help you. Oftenly mentioned XSim simulator will provide you with instant graphs and solutions to your questions regarding impedance.

Last edited:
Simple answer is that you can mix and match 4 ohm and 8 ohm speakers. But a lot depends on the crossover.

Realize that impedance typically varies with frequency. In other words, a woofer or tweeter does not have a constant 4 ohm or 8 ohm (or whatever value), like a resistor.

I'd recommend reading this "sticky" thread to start. It may give you a feel for how things can change.
Introduction to designing crossovers without measurement

There are other books, simulation applications, etc. that will give even more detail.

Also, two 6 ohm drivers in series makes 12 ohms, not 3. If you wire them in parallel, you will get 3 ohms -- and the combined spl will increase under the same input.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.