Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Crossover design problems/suggestions
Crossover design problems/suggestions
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st March 2018, 02:34 PM   #41
EarlK is offline EarlK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sese317j View Post
I already checked, it goes down to like 5 Ohms from 18-20khz, but the amp is 6 Ohm stable, so i dont think that is an issue.
I think Bills concern is focused on the impedance above 20K, up in the ultra-sonics.

Unfortunately, XSim doesn't go past 20K so one is left to ones own life-experience for predicting the trend lines.

Old 21st March 2018, 03:14 PM   #42
EarlK is offline EarlK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Something to realize is that traditional Passive layouts are generally safer ( impedance wise ) than the somewhat esoteric layouts such as what are now being most recently talked about here in this thread.

- You might want to spend some time redesigning according to those safer principals ( as seen in the first handful of posts ).

OTOH, the following is also esoteric ( but I've added some resistance in various places to increase the overall impedance level ).
- this was done using a pair of your older files ( 1.45" was used as the offset > so I don't know how accurate this will translate ultimately ).

It's presented more as an example on how to make some FR compromises ( while increasing overall impedance ).

I can't see beyond 20K and can only guess that the impedance at 50K ( or even 100K ) is still alright ( & stable ) for a typical PA amp.

Crossover design problems/suggestions-mo-em-1-45in_hi-lo-png
Attached Images
File Type: png mo-em-1.45in_Hi+Lo.png (52.0 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by EarlK; 21st March 2018 at 03:36 PM.
Old 23rd March 2018, 12:43 AM   #43
XMechanik is offline XMechanik  Poland
diyAudio Member

Another circuit to have look at. The circuit was designed based on the last measurements and delay findings (post#37). The biggest difference can be seen around 4kHz. The original circuit trace (green) shows a 5dB raise which likely comes from breakups of the Monacor driver. New midwofer filter has 10dB more attenuation @4kHz and this area is left to be served by the tweeter.
The circuit doesn't look simple but don't be cheated with the number of coils, wchih is 5, as 2 of them are microscopic and cost little more than resistors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg moem20.03.jpg (463.1 KB, 24 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip mo-em-1.45inch_ph_meas22.03.zip (20.3 KB, 1 views)

Crossover design problems/suggestionsHide this!Advertise here!