Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Anyone built speakers using real wood?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th March 2018, 01:03 AM   #21
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandoman View Post
You need to keep the across grain dimensions small, don't glue across the grain, and allow the cabinets to move across the grain.
Bollocks - I didn't follow any of these rules. It's all 3/4" pine glued together and all the wrong way by the sound of it. Should I trash the lot and start over ? - will covering it all over in varnish help ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roundover.JPG (222.5 KB, 180 views)
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Last edited by Bigun; 13th March 2018 at 01:06 AM.
Old 13th March 2018, 01:07 AM   #22
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowboy View Post
The phrasing is bad, but I think what they mean is that the trees aren't primarily grown for timber. They only produce latex for ~25 years, so the growers have to clear them and plant new ones. The timber sales are just a bonus.
Ah thanks, I feel better about their eco cred now
Old 13th March 2018, 01:10 AM   #23
suzyj is online now suzyj  Australia
diyAudio Member

I'm making some speakers using the Bunnings Karri boards.

I made a lamination for the sides (200 x 460) of 16mm MDF, 16mm thick lump of Karri, then 16mm MDF using PVA. Then I ran it through my bandsaw to separate it into 2 sides of 16mm MDF and ~7mm Karri. After a few goes with the planer each side is now 16mm MDF and 4mm Karri, for a total thickness of 20mm.

I plan on doing the (125mm wide) baffle in 16mm Karri with no MDF, to allow for a generous radius on the sides. Back will be 9mm MDF, and top and bottom will be MDF with a thin layer of Karri bonded on after assembly. I did a similar setup (Tassi Oak on MDF) with my "noiseUnit" computer speakers (125 wide by 250 deep by 200 tall) and this has worked very well. As long as the real wood is significantly thinner than the MDF and it's really well bonded to the MDF there are no issues with splitting etc.

It's incredibly amusing that I live in WA, with huge Karri forests, and yet we have to import our Karri for furniture from Vietnam.
Old 13th March 2018, 03:13 AM   #24
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Between Bernie and Scott i have had/seen many a solid wood speaker. You need to know what you are doing.

I have torture tested a few — solid wood likes to see stable temperature & humidity, and if it is going to change it should happen slowly. From my tests, softwood seems to hold up best — Douglas Fir (a pine) and Western Red Cedar. Yew & Garry Oak were easiest to blow up.

Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Old 13th March 2018, 03:27 AM   #25
hal55 is offline hal55
diyAudio Member

Thanks to hollowboy for sharing his experience with Bunnings rubber wood. Looks really good, I could imagine the speakers built out of it , but apparently not stable enough for the purpose I have in mind. I did phone Bunnings this morning and they comfjrmed that it was kiln dried, but still thought expansion etc could be a problem.
If I lived in Tasmania I'd try and use Huon pine, lovely stable timber that takes centuries to grow, but for the same reason hard to source.
Old 13th March 2018, 04:15 AM   #26
hollowboy is offline hollowboy  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyj View Post
16mm thick lump of Karri, then [...] After a few goes with the planer each side is now 16mm MDF and 4mm Karri, for a total thickness of 20mm.
I've just started using 5mm bamboo, laminated to ply, for a similar result.
Strand Woven Bamboo | Plyco

Damaged / 2nd hand blinds can also be 'mined' for timber that's thin, but substantially thicker than veneer. Could be a good option for someone without your tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyj View Post
It's incredibly amusing that I live in WA, with huge Karri forests, and yet we have to import our Karri for furniture from Vietnam.
We have the inverse oddness in Victoria. One excuse the logging lobby use to to chop down old growth forest on slopes is that the flat land plantations (also in Victoria) are too far away.
Old 13th March 2018, 05:43 AM   #27
jzagaja is offline jzagaja  Poland
diyAudio Member

I've used exotic wood and French Polish - easy to work with. Always one piece of wood 30-35cm wide which of course deform after gluing. Closed box and soft suspension bass - below is 6" nanocarbon unit and Harwood AM35/Aurum Cantus 30130. Very nice sound, my best little speakers. Now I bought opposite - very light Samba wood 40mm thick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9209.JPG (69.8 KB, 140 views)
Old 13th March 2018, 06:43 AM   #28
hal55 is offline hal55
diyAudio Member

Where is live isn't very friendly climate wise. I've seen humidity over ninety percent at 2am, and the whole summer has been hot with it. On the other hand, the speaker is very small, front baffle barely larger than a A4 sheet of paper. Might still go wood, but maybe not rubber wood.
Old 13th March 2018, 11:37 PM   #29
Pygmy is offline Pygmy  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I haven't tried real wood, but my quest for DIY speakers that were a little bit different resulted in using slate stone - supposedly an ultimate speaker cabinet material because it's very dense / heavy, yet its layered structure prevents resonance.
( Cabinet materials | Loudspeakerbuilding )

The reason why slate isn't used more in commercial speakers is the weight - it's pretty expensive shipping 100kg speakers around the world.
(An example of premium speakers using slate would be Vroemen : Vroemen but you'd have to pay through the nose to get them anywhere but in Germany)
For DIY weight is not a problem though, as you probably won't be shipping your speakers anywhere

Here's my results:
Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

Last edited by Pygmy; 13th March 2018 at 11:41 PM.
Old 14th March 2018, 12:17 AM   #30
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
...it's very dense / heavy...
Neither of these is an asset unless they bring very high stiffness with them.

dave

Anyone built speakers using real wood?Hide this!Advertise here!