Where to use these drivers????

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Managed to get a pair of ATC PA75-314 12 inch heavy duty bass drivers at a car boot sale last sunday.
ATC PA75-314 75 w normal input power, 150w maximum input power,3 inch voice coil,8 ohms,huge vented alnico magnet with heatsink,rubber surround,die cast aluminium frame,push terminals.

They work fine but i'm very confused were to use them???:confused: :confused: :confused:
With only 150w maximum input power, I doubt i'll be able to use them in pa midrange boxes.
But being 150w max wonder if i can put 300w rms through them since they are a very heavy duty 12 inch considering the wattage.

Still dunno what alse i could use them in except for pa midrange boxes??? Not enough excersion for a sub!!!!

All I can say is they must be very old,considering the 75w normal power for a 12 inch pa speaker,alnico magnet and 3 inch vc for a 75w,and the funny heatsink on the alnico magnet,and the rubber surround.:whazzat:

Old Drivers

By my reckoning they are 15+ years old. I remember a bass player trying a 12" ATC with rubber surround in a cab and with that rubber surround the voice coil came out from the magnet jamming the speaker out. It went back in ok quite a few times before it burnt out.

I think that these were used in an ATC 3 way diy cab. SCM100 ish . Went to Wilmslow Audio when they were in Wilmslow! ~1988? to listen to some, great sound but just too expensive, though that was mainly due to the famous ATC mid dome. The marketing blurb said something about the alnico magnets being good for low distorsion and having a reasonable impedance curve.

Suggest you use them for a hifi speaker/studio monitor.

Simon

Pinkmouse you might as well have 1 of them for free.Because I noticed voice coil rub on one of the ATC drivers when played loud and discovered it's caused by a shifted magnet.:dodgy:
Thats probably why they were so cheap at a car boot sale.
The other ATC driver is ok.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.