Faitalpro 6FE200 ... stamped steel frame ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well I also think they have strange measurements, even if with good intention to show something what the normal IEC measurement (hence other manufacturers) don't. I also miss the off-axis response of their midranges.

Nevertheless, today I compared their 18" woofers and sub-woofers (both neodymium and normal ones) with my project's Dayton Audio 18" driver. And then tried to match BMS midranges to my Dayton and vice versa, match my Faital 6FE100 midranges to a BMS 18" bass. All of these "hybrid" setups (Dayton bass + Faital mid VS BMS alternatives) had some compromises while one of the 18" BMS drivers is just perfectly working together with 2x 16 Ohm BMS midranges in parallel. But interestingly, BMS had (don't remember anymore) midranges which are just as efficient as the Faital midranges in my original design, however, the Dayton PA460-8 outperforms all BMS 18" drivers, sometimes pretty much, sometimes just a little bit .. lower f3, higher SPL, regardless of tuning and box size.. I played around quite a bit to try to match those BMS 18" woofers to overcome the Dayton but no luck. Pretty close however. But I still believe the best bass drivers on Earth are made in the US - just a gut feeling ;) Anyway it was nice to play around and I'm pretty confident these are all very good quality stuff, at least according to simulation (WinISD).

Now you made my night a little bit shorter, still thinking of sticking to the Dayton and replacing my 4x 8Ohm Faital midranges to 2x 16Ohm BMS ones to stay within reasonable height with the box and have the tweeter at sofa-sitting ear height. With the 4 Faitals above the Dayton, the tweeter is a very little too high. Still thinking 'cause the frequency curve of the Faitals look somewhat better and they just allow me to be crossed at 125Hz (24dB/oct). Anyway, I always learn, it was nice to discover another great brand. Thx.

Some of you guys who know your stuff, way better than me .... everyone, :D Can you tell me if this midrange driver looks like it would work well in my proposed frequency response range? My other chosen drivers are depicted accurately playing with this mid, as I have crudely drawn it. This will be active with DSP.

40751248902_22f679138e_c.jpg
[/url]Mystery FR chart by Cullen Graham, on Flickr[/IMG]

38983244610_7700147ec9_c.jpg
[/url]Mystery FR chart 2 by Cullen Graham, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
Which PA drivers are made in China?

Both FaitalPro and B&C produce all their drivers in Italy.

Maybe they are assembling the speakers in Italy, but sourcing the parts from China?

This manufacturer produces unbranded units which appear to have the same frame and magnets as B&C:
transducers - Guangzhou Hongye Audio Equipment Co., Ltd. - page 1.

This particular unit uses the same model number as a B&C coaxial. From the photos, they appear identical. Voice coil, Fs, Bl etc are all stated to be the same.
China 12′′neodymium Speaker Coaxial Horn - China Magnet, Permanent Magnet

B&C Speakers

/\ ... If it makes any difference, I was never speaking of comparing off brand vs quality drivers. So drivers made in China are of zero relevance to my original curiosity. I noticed no-one has really stepped up and mentioned anything that handily beats the Failtal Pro. This leads me to believe the other units are standard priced. And the Faital is under priced.

/\ ... If it makes any difference, I was never speaking of comparing off brand vs quality drivers. So drivers made in China are of zero relevance to my original curiosity.

Does 'off brand' mean anything in a world that has been shrunk by container shipping? Particularly if the 'proper' brands are sourcing parts from China (almost everyone) or Mexico (JBL, probably others)?

Also, if country of origin is how you define an 'off brand', why would you dismiss a Chinese manufacturer, but not a Brazilian one (PRV)?

I noticed no-one has really stepped up and mentioned anything that handily beats the Failtal Pro. This leads me to believe the other units are standard priced. And the Faital is under priced.

Yup. For a home build, anything that's "better" than a competent pro driver (assuming that driver is reasonably smooth in the range you want it to cover) is overkill. Why use a 10kg driver with 500 watts power handling when a 5kg driver that handles 100 watts is already plenty?

But some of your examples aren't directly comparable, e.g Faital 6FE200 vs B&C 6 PEV 13.

That Faital looks like it has been optimised for high Xmax and (robust) direct radiator use. It'd probably survive hard use with a low order crossover. When I put the numbers into an efficiency calculator, mh-audio.nl - Home
I get only 90.2dB - that's what it'd give near the bottom of it's range.

The B&C gets 96.7dB in the same calculator, cos it has double the Vas, and a lower Qts. Note that is is differently optimised, with half the voice coil length of the Faital, and half the moving mass.

This, combined with the small Xmax and rising response makes me think it'd suit a short horn, where the horn loading would balance out that tilted response (break up modes and beaming can raise the HF part of a driver's band to be greater than the calculated efficiency value) ...so in practice, it'd give 100dB+ over the 300Hz - 1kHz range you're thinking of.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.