Meniscus Statements-How much power?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am considering building the Meniscus Statement II speaker kit but am a bit concerned about how much power/current they need.
My best sounding amplifier is a Bakoon AMP 5521 but it is only 35 watts and probably not that high current.I suspect this speaker is sensitive enough but it might be too low impedance.I have not been able to find a minimum impedance measurement.
If the Statement II is going to need too much power any other suggestions?
I listen mainly to smaller scale acoustic music/jazz/blues/Indie folk.

I am considering building the Meniscus Statement II speaker kit but am a bit concerned about how much power/current they need.
My best sounding amplifier is a Bakoon AMP 5521 but it is only 35 watts and probably not that high current.I suspect this speaker is sensitive enough but it might be too low impedance.I have not been able to find a minimum impedance measurement.
If the Statement II is going to need too much power any other suggestions?
I listen mainly to smaller scale acoustic music/jazz/blues/Indie folk.

The Statements II are a 4 ohm speaker and we recommend 100 watts @8 ohms minimum to appreciate their dynamic capabilities. More is better.

Sorry I can't offer any recommendations.

Jim

The Statements II are a 4 ohm speaker and we recommend 100 watts @8 ohms minimum to appreciate their dynamic capabilities. More is better.

Sorry I can't offer any recommendations.

Jim

Jim,
Thanks for the reply.
How about the Kairos with active subs?
That Bakoon is lightening fast [no slew rate].Perhaps something simpler with really good phase response might be a good match and that is what the Kairos would appear to offer?
Otherwise I have to return to one of my more powerful but more ordinary sounding power amps .The trouble being I can't unhear the Bakoon !Everything else sounds very slow and smudged by comparison and the speakers I am using it with do not work so well in my larger room.

Jim,
Thanks for the reply.
How about the Kairos with active subs?
That Bakoon is lightening fast [no slew rate].Perhaps something simpler with really good phase response might be a good match and that is what the Kairos would appear to offer?
Otherwise I have to return to one of my more powerful but more ordinary sounding power amps .The trouble being I can't unhear the Bakoon !Everything else sounds very slow and smudged by comparison and the speakers I am using it with do not work so well in my larger room.

That is one of Jeff Bagby's designs and I've never heard them. I understand the tube love for your amp but 35 watts requires an 8 ohm speaker that is very efficient. That usually means a 2-way.

Bottom line, big dynamics require big power with 4 ohm drive capability.

HTH

Jim

That is one of Jeff Bagby's designs and I've never heard them. I understand the tube love for your amp but 35 watts requires an 8 ohm speaker that is very efficient. That usually means a 2-way.

Bottom line, big dynamics require big power with 4 ohm drive capability.

HTH

Jim

Yes a common problem it seems.
The Bakoon is SS not tube.
I wish you guys would use 16 ohm woofers in parallel not 8!

I don't find anything wrong with Statements Impedance profile. You can find in their website that Statements 2 have impedance similar to Statements, and there is a graph showing it. 35W/8 ohm is plenty of power and assuming this 4,000 bucks amp is decently built, meaning appropriately sized power supply, and you are not planning a rock concert spl, you should be fine with these. I listen my speakers playing at maybe 200mW of power output, and it's plenty loud with 85 dB speaker sensitivity.

I don't find anything wrong with Statements Impedance profile. You can find in their website that Statements 2 have impedance similar to Statements, and there is a graph showing it. 35W/8 ohm is plenty of power and assuming this 4,000 bucks amp is decently built, meaning appropriately sized power supply, and you are not planning a rock concert spl, you should be fine with these. I listen my speakers playing at maybe 200mW of power output, and it's plenty loud with 85 dB speaker sensitivity.

Yes you are right.I managed to find the impedance curve.Minimum really is about 4 ohm which would appear easy compared to some speakers I have owned-like Gale 401s that dip to under 3 ohms.
Smiley face frequency response almost straight out of the BBC should make them pretty easy to listen to.

Doing the math on the Statements, Statements II, Anthology's and Bordeaux since they are all about 88 db at one watt/one meter with a doubling of power requirement for every three db increase in volume it would calculate out to about 512 watts at 4-6 ohms to achieve 115 DB. That is pushing the hell out of them but it can be done.

Yes, you can blow them up if driven too hard. It will be an RS225 that will probably go 1st since they'll run out of xmax around 112 db but still go louder with un-linear xmax. I'm not sure Un-linear is a word but I think you get me meaning. :)

HTH

Jim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.