Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Choosing Scanspeak Drivers for 4-way
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2018, 05:31 PM   #11
Offshore64 is offline Offshore64  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieM View Post
How big can these towers be? What's your budget?

Literally as large as I feel like making them. Very, very large room with a cathedral ceiling and no neighbors. And the enclosure material and veneer isn't a cost Im even worried about. I can't see spending more than $500 in drivers per tower without understanding why.
Old 10th March 2018, 05:33 PM   #12
boswald is offline boswald  United States
diyAudio Member

Let's play Spinoza, and define our terms.

Sensitivity is how loud it gets at a given voltage.
Efficiency is how loud it gets with a given wattage.
Your max spl is determined by displacement(area of diaphragm times travel, w/o melting anything electrical).[also there is variation of coupling efficiency with the air]

Watts are volts times amps.
Impedance is essentially resistance for alternating current(oh boy-AC also includes varying voltage, but let's leave that aside for now and call it a sort of resistance).
A higher impedance resists the flow of current, and thus requires a higher voltage to drive the diaphragm as far; a lower requires less(car speakers are 4 ohm because you are limited in voltage swing without fancy power supplies).

More watts means more heat, touch a 15 watt bulb, then a 40(leave that 100 alone). So your heat sink limits your power, as does the power supply.
You can play games like lower impedance for lower frequency ranges, within the limits of power supply and dissipation. Speakers are complexes of compromises.

Like a marriage, choose your fights.
Old 10th March 2018, 05:44 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojzek View Post
There is nothing to be worried about choosing the smaller flanged D3004 over air circ. .

Thank you for staying engaged, Lojzek. Im not sure if you can see this but these are the tentatives on this build. I should be pulling the trigger on the drivers this week. Unless I pick up a used 8 channel McIntosh a guy has listed locally. Should be about a 2 month build, depending on the veneer availability. Probably $2.5-$3k U.S.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2550.JPG (327.3 KB, 186 views)

Last edited by Offshore64; 10th March 2018 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10th March 2018, 05:58 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswald View Post
A higher impedance resists the flow of current

Right on. I remember most of this from my Navy days, but it bears repeating. Thank you. (actually a good teacher)
BUT! why would I alter my design impedence on my drivers if I am using active amping/crossover and digital sound processing, not to mention the tiny little Gain knob on the back of the overpriced 8 channel Irish amp?
Old 10th March 2018, 06:15 PM   #15
boswald is offline boswald  United States
diyAudio Member

Because a lower impedance woofer can suck up a higher proportion of a shared source than a higher.
Remember that ten db is ten times the power, twenty a hundred.
So for twenty db headroom, you are only running a hundred watt amp at one watt. For fourty.....
Old 10th March 2018, 06:20 PM   #16
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Look in the manual for the Beolab 90. They probably invested some thinking on this. All SS.

//
Old 10th March 2018, 06:32 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswald View Post
Because a lower impedance woofer can suck up a higher proportion of a shared source than a higher.

I think Im getting this. So! An 8 ohm woofer is going to use less watts and therefore not heat up the amp as much? Despite the lower dB rating of the 8ohm driver. And no audible difference? Because at 53, I don't see myself running that system at max volume very often. If it came to clarity vs. volume/watts, I'd choose clarity. I have a very loud stereo now. Imaging

Scanspeak actually has the speakers I spec'd in 8 ohm. And no price difference. Ridiculously reasonable at $88
Old 10th March 2018, 07:04 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
Beolab 90

//

Right? $90k do all speakers. Youre the second Scandinavian to refer me towards beam reflection and room manipulation. Linkwitz said after he built the Orion, that its all about the room and speaker placement. If I knew what I was doing I would design this pair to this particular room. One problem is, it is a glass room. 3 sides anyhow. Once set in place, these heavy beasts will not move in my lifetime. I may experiment later with directing/bouncing tweeters. Its just adding one more channel to a dsp.
Old 10th March 2018, 08:08 PM   #19
ErnieM is offline ErnieM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore64 View Post
Literally as large as I feel like making them. Very, very large room with a cathedral ceiling and no neighbors. And the enclosure material and veneer isn't a cost Im even worried about. I can't see spending more than $500 in drivers per tower without understanding why.
In this case you must consider prosound drivers. Scroll the linked thread to see one example of a speaker that would fit a large room with very little compromise.

Active high dynamics/SPL & high performance loudspeaker system for my living room…!
Old 10th March 2018, 09:55 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Oh my. That's a system. It'll take me a day to decipher the info in that thread. But yeah, the room in question is larger than that (12'x20' and 12' tall at the peak) and will have a fireplace, a stereo, a few plants, and commercial grade double glazing. An empty glass box. Im not sure power would be as much an issue as unwanted reflections off the glass.

Choosing Scanspeak Drivers for 4-wayHide this!Advertise here!