Scanspeak 22W/8857T-00 8" v 22W/8851T-00

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mike, the aluminum vs paper cone have different breakup characteristics in the upper midrange. If you are crossing below 4-500Hz you will not hear a difference.
Aluminum cone is probably a bit stiffer at high excursion, and might sound subjectively "tighter" in the low end when pushed hard.

BTW, I have a pair of the 8857, new in box.
Make an offer if you wish.
Send a PM.
I'm in upstate NY.

- Tom

Last edited:
Thanks. I am planning on crossing at 200-220 Hz and somewhere around 700 Hz, so sounds like not too much difference between the two.

My plan is to use 2 each side in a MTM D'apolito configuration with
2 x 12MU/8731T-00 ScanSpeak 4" Mids and a
R2904/7000-09 tweeter.

This will be mounted above a 32W/4878T01 Scan-Speak woofer.

I am going to use an active crossover with DSP.

Still trying to decide on the best mid-base
1) 22W/8857T-00 8" - Alluminium
2) 22W/8851T-00 8" - Paper
3) 18WU/8741T-00 7" Paper

The 18WU will match the 12MU a bit better cosmetically I guess, however the 12MU is should go low enough to avoid the 22W breakup at around 700 Hz.

Probably leaning towards 18WU at this stage...

Mike

Mike, if I can make one (unsolicited) suggestion here:
Consider using only one 22W and one 12MU per side.
Since you have a 4-way, neither of these drivers are going to be out of their comfort zone at the low end of their passband. They both have large x-max and low distortion and should provide plenty of dynamics for rocking out in a moderate sized room. The smaller center-to-center spacing will greatly improve the uniformity of vertical dispersion and especially directivity matching between the tweeter and midrange.
Also, you will save a lot of money! Good luck with this project.

Looking at the measurements for the Scanspeak 32W woofer, it's perfectly capable of crossing @ 400Hz with a 4th order acoustic filter. The 12MU will easily go down to 400hz, so really there's no need for the extra driver.

If you were using a 2" mid dome, then you'd need to cross at around 800Hz and need the fourth driver. Likewise if you were using a subwoofer/woofer without the performance of the 32W and needed to cross at 100Hz.

But in this instance that's not the case. I'd even say you've got quite a lot of room for overlap too. The 12MU would be just fine taken down to 200hz.

The 32W’s arrived today and the supplier has sent me the T00 model which is the subwoofer version. These have come all the way from Europe to Australia and there was some confusion around the order so not sure if I can send back. If not should still work quite well according to the response curves/specs there is not that much diff. Fs of 18 v 23 though and Vas of 207 v 170. Will need a bit bigger box, also might increase the case for something between it and the 12’s now. Frustrating...

You can see here

Test Bench: Scan-Speak 32W/4878T00 Subwoofer

That the T00 will easily manage a 4th order LWR acoustic slope up to 400Hz, after which the 2nd order distortion gently rises.

As scanspeak have designed this sub with one of their excellent symmetric drive motors it has very low self inductance. This is the main reason why it can be used up considerably higher then your usual subwoofer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.