Need some advice for bass section in diy horn setup

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of selenium d405's on the way, I might try the Ti diaphragms. Planing to pair them to the gm-450pb horn.

Going to run a selenium d220ti on a H6512 or HM25-25 for the tweeter

I'm looking for reasonably sized and priced option to run below the D405 crossover.

Was looking at the cornwall design, but the woofers are pretty spendy... the Jubilee also looks like a fun wood working project, but again it always seems like a pair of $$$ drivers.

If i could find some woofers in the $50-75 range that would work in either/both of these I would be thrilled!

The plan for these speakers are to be tri-amped with active or digtial crossover before the amp (protection caps on the d220ti's)

Size wise ~24-36" wide and deep but up to 60-72" tall.

Being able to build some smaller units that are well matched for use in the surround sound at a later date would also be great.

Thank you all for advice! Feel free to point me to howto's software etc...

-Levi

If building the Jubilee folded bass horn "looks like a fun wood working project" then you are a "woodshop god" and should also build an all-wood Klipsch K402 horn and post regular pictures so everyone on this forum can share your journey.
Forums - The Klipsch Audio Community

Klipsch uses their K31 speaker in Jubliee (grey line in plot)
DIY'ers sometimes use
1) $127 Eminence Kappa_Pro_12A (black line in plot)
2) $120 Crites CW1228
3) $250 GPA-414-8B

If you goal is just low cost bass, the $75 paper cone Dayton 12" DS315-8, and the $85 aluminum cone Dayton 12" DSA315-8 are worth consideration for a ported cabinet.

Attachments

• klipsch  K-402 wood horn.jpg
    klipsch K-402 wood horn.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 433
  • Jubilee Build.gif
    Jubilee Build.gif
    115.3 KB · Views: 437
  • Jubilee Horn Woofs.png
    Jubilee Horn Woofs.png
    344.8 KB · Views: 419
  • Jubilee greyK31 blackPro12a.png
    Jubilee greyK31 blackPro12a.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 386
  • DS315Shelf.JPG
    DS315Shelf.JPG
    222.3 KB · Views: 397
Back to reality.

There are a few musical $150-$250 price range 15" woofers which have been crossed to your 2" D405 CD around 500-700Hz with favorable measurements and listener reviews. If you search out diy design threads for your D405 you will discover a few successful 3-way threads using both your D405 + D220Ti CDs where you can study and simulate clever crossover circuits and cabinet designs to make an informed choice before you go to the woodshop. Reality. A weekend building a basic ported box with some bracing for a 15" woofer is not as exciting as a month long build Jubilee "I had a Dream" bass horn. Reality.

15" musical woofers:
Purchasing the Crites $138 CW1526C woofer has proven success and website support.

Slightly less deep bass but superior high frequency response from:
Eminence DeltaLite II 2515 15" woofer (Fs=36Hz, Mms=70g, Le=1.1mH, Qts=0.38) $135

Best sounding modest-price midbass:
FaitalPro 15PR400 woofer (Fs=35Hz, Mms=72g, Le=0.7mH, Qts=0.32) $260
----
The wood K402 build is from the Klipsch forum.
I'm looking for a pair of fiberglass SEOS-24.

Last edited:
Linesource, thank you very much for all the info!

I've been churning through as much info online as i can, and you have provided some much needed clarification to what I've come across.

Please note I said fun project. Not an easy project. :) Your description is spot on. I had no crazy thoughts of building a pair of jubilee in a week. I figure at best 4-6weeks.

Today Ill be discussion with the wife room layout options as the jubilee's are 5" to wide each... some major rearranging and they will fit. Otherwise it might be sticking to cornwall like bass bin.

it appears that the cheaper woofers might be left strictly for some future surround sound speakers or maybe even lesser usses... But its always worth checking.

I've been leaning towards the crites as he has used the 15" with the 405+d220ti and has crossovers on hand, incase the triamp project falls apart. figured he could support using 12's in jubilee

I thought about a khorn like my fathers speakerlabs, they certainly spoiled my ears growing up. But the woodworking passes the fun threshold, and the current house layout doesnt have useable corners...

The D405's showed up yesterday. I now understand why people use support brackets! They put the mid CD on my fathers mids to shame!

Thanks again for all the info!

-Levi

Spent a good part of the weekend with the wife chatting about speakers. Made some cardboard cutouts, grabbed the tape measures and masking tape and made floor layouts.

She was actually more supportive of the jubilee bass bins with massive room reorganization, so long as they have a nice veneer, than I would of thought! She is certainly ok with having speakers as art! :)

However my desire to get some good sounding speakers in the living room asap is strong.

So I'm leaning towards a cornscala build first. Quicker, cheaper, better diy support. This leaves flexibility in the next step (replacing surround sound speakers).
Current plan is to build the jubilee bass box after the cornwall bass box. the Jubilee highend could be 2way (k402 build?) or 3way. And than a second set matching cornscalas to finish out the surround sound.

Or if the Cornscalas are more than enough for the room, and cost/size becomes more strick... can stick with them and build some little 12" 2way's for surrounds. Hopefully it doesn't come to this. But I like a backup plan :)

Thank you all again for the information and advice. I've got a solid plan, and backup plan. I will put together a new thread when the build kicks off :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.