Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Enclosure walls construction for 3012LF Neo
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st March 2018, 10:02 PM   #1
Flaxxer is offline Flaxxer  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Enclosure walls construction for 3012LF Neo

I am building a 2.8 cu ft gross, bass cabinet for the 3012LF Neo woofer. It will be slot ported, or I can use a 6" vent. The inner dimensions are 12"x19"x23"
I do not have access to Baltic Birch ply. And could not afford it, with cabinets this large, considering I would have to laminate 1/2" sheets together.

So I can use 3/4" MDF, laminated to 1/4" hard board. Or I can double up the 3/4" MDF for 1.5" thick material. What are your suggestions, for enclosure material for these? Thanks
Old 1st March 2018, 10:19 PM   #2
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Woofers in particular want stiff boxes… something MDF is not good at.

The plywood we use is manufactured closer to you than us… Murphy Ply in Eugene or Sutherline Oregon. Well braced 18mm should do the job. Murphy Plywood: Hardwood, Softwood & Engineered panels | Murphy Company

If you use 2 tightly coupled smaller woofers push-push you can get away with less since active force cancelation dramatically reduces box loads. The difference is not subtle.

dave
Old 1st March 2018, 10:24 PM   #3
globalplayer is offline globalplayer  Germany
diyAudio Member

I like OSB.
Old 1st March 2018, 10:26 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Smaller woofers ? What's that ??? LOL

I can't afford an extra pair pf woofers, just to make the enclosure happier. I wish I could.

So you are telling me, a single 3/4" wall of Baltic, well braced, is better than doubling up MDF?
Old 1st March 2018, 10:45 PM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

You have to brace it, but yes (you’d have to brace MDF box even more). And your back will thank you. Brace th ewoofer to the back wall (and either top and bottom or the sidesor all of them) so as to share the reactive loads.

dave
Old 2nd March 2018, 12:52 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I will do the math and see how many extra hundreds it will cost me to get BB for the project.

Last edited by Flaxxer; 2nd March 2018 at 01:19 AM.
Old 2nd March 2018, 01:03 AM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Your braces in that box are running the wrong way. Heavy is actually a detriment, unless it brings extra stiffness to the build.

email Murphy, and see who sells it in your area. Or if they’ll ship you some if it isn’t.

I fully expect, from personal experience, that the box in my 2 x 10” push-push woofers built with 15mm BB (cheap grade) will outperform your box in ” MDF + extra layer — even if you concrete it… brute force vrs clever design.

Note: it will be marketed as ” in the USA but quality plywood is almost always metric. The Murphy ply is 18mm + the 2 maple veneer layers they add.

dave
Old 2nd March 2018, 05:09 AM   #8
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

For relativly "thin" wall construction:

1/4 in. x 48 in. Wood Round Dowel-HDDH1448 - The Home Depot

1/4" dowels irregularly (semi "random" placement on boards to supress modes) connected to interior opossing walls (with wood screws from outside of cabinet) of:

Underlayment (Common: 7/32 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft.; Actual: 0.196 in. x 48 in. x 96 in.)-431178 - The Home Depot

1/4" cheap plywood wraped with:

27 in. x 8 ft. Steel Lath-2.5 METAL LATH - The Home Depot

metal lath w/ several coats of:

Rapid Set 25 lb. Stucco Patch-71020025 - The Home Depot

Stucco.

(you will need to build a wood frame to screw the panels onto.)

Waddell 1/2 in. x 36 in. American Basswood Square Dowel-8308U - The Home Depot

Last edited by ScottG; 2nd March 2018 at 05:14 AM.
Old 2nd March 2018, 05:21 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Huh? thin wall. I apologize. My explaining skills couldn't be much worse. This thread is sooo far away from what I was thinking.
I'm sure I will be okay.
Old 2nd March 2018, 05:31 AM   #10
LineSource is offline LineSource  United States
diyAudio Member

_At HomeDepot, a 4x8 sheet of 0.75" cabinet grade Birch plywood is $53 -$72, based upon manufacturer.
_Even generic Birch plywood is a much better cabinet material than MDF.
_Select cabinet dimensions which fit one 48" x 96" sheet. You may need to glue together the bracing from separate boards.
_If you woodscrew one or two 4" ABS plastic pipe ports to the baffle, it will be easy to remove and change port length if you change rooms.
_One horizontal "window frame" brace, plus one vertical narrow interlocking brace should be adequate.

You can find several clever cabinet construction threads for "light-woofers" like the 3012LF. For bracing, low cost plywood or pine strips are adequate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg one sheet.jpg (163.3 KB, 228 views)

Last edited by LineSource; 2nd March 2018 at 05:40 AM.

Enclosure walls construction for 3012LF NeoHide this!Advertise here!