What crossover freq would you choose? and L-pads ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everybody,

I am looking to build a 3 way speaker, all drivers in own sealed box, with the following drivers:
MONACOR - SPH-220HQ
and
MONACOR - SPH-145HQ
and
MONACOR - DT-300
with horn
MONACOR - WG-300

Please, any ideas about:
- the two crossover points?
- the tweeter L-pad? 5dB?
- box volumes for bass and midrange?
- the midrange has to be reversed polarity?

I intend to build a separate box for the bass driver and another box for mid and high drivers. Boxes will be stacked one on another ...

I am not interested in low, lazy, muddy bass, I want to hear a fast, kick, punch set of drums :) ... maybe from 45Hz up!? I am listening mainly rock music in a 20 square meter room.

Thanks!

Don’t feel offended, but your questions show that you have no idea of what is needed to design a speaker. And a 3-way is really way more complex than a 2-way. If your plan is to build a set of speakers and be done with that, I strongly suggest you to build an established design. If you need to use Monacor drivers here you will find some ideas:
Strassacker: Speaker Building, Components
The Mona Lisa is the nearest to your wish list, you can find detailed plans for it elsewhere.

Some random thougts: your plan is not bad, but I don’t feel the need to use a waveguided tweeter with a 5” driver, use it with a larger mid, like in the Mona Lisa. IMHO Monacor drivers are somewhat expensive for what they offer, and if you are not stuck with them you can find something with a better value to cost ratio. In your room it can be difficult to install a large speaker, so I offer two ideas, the Troels Gravesen 3w classic (the original one), and the Paul Carmody Tarkus:
SEAS-3-Way-Classic
Tarkus - undefinition

Ralf

Tarkus is what I want to build as layout, drivers type ... but I can get at a very good price the mentioned Monacor drivers.

I was curious if anyone worked with those drivers and some ideas about questions I have asked.

Meanwhile I will start to investigate the pricing for me to built Tarkus ...

Very nice thread that about designing crossovers!

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Thanks, Biscu.

If you change drivers from the original plan, you may (and probably will) need to alter the crossover. The designer has gone to some trouble to guarantee a reasonable standard so if you change it you're wandering off the path. Don't get me wrong though, it is possible.

Of course that if I change the drivers will be another project, crossover ... I know that. I was saying that Tarkus is the way I also think to make the boxes and drivers layout.

I have a box simulator/calculator as WinISD, but I do not have a proffesional tool to calculate the complete crossovers for those Monacor drivers. There are online pieces but not a complete tool, open source ...

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I do not have a proffesional tool to calculate the complete crossovers for those Monacor drivers. There are online pieces but not a complete tool, open source ...
I don't use a professional tool. You can use your computer with a microphone, you might need a preamp. Some resistors, clip leads and cables for measuring impedance. A crossover simulator. These will get you started.

Biscu,
it is not about professional or non professional tools, it is about what you really want to do.

If you want to make this an hobby, throwing into it lots of money and time, with maybe not so successful outcomes in the way, you are welcome, we can help with whatever question you have. But I object in starting with a 3-way design your journey.

If OTOH you want to just build a good sounding speaker and be done with that, then build an established design. The Tarkus is IMHO. In building a published design your bill of material is fixed, and you know it beforehand.

Ralf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.