Watt power for Kappalite 3012LF Neo ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I love the play on word in the title :D

I am going to use a pair of these in a 2.8 cu ft cabinet, tuned to 42 hz.

Eminence Kappalite 3012LF Neo 12" Speaker Driver

It will be active with DSP. My question is: Will the larger amp channel on this Sure Class D amplifier, properly power the Kappalite in the above enclosure, for loud home listening? It should be an actual 180 watts into an 8 ohm load.
Thank you

Sure Electronics AA-AB33511 2x300W+1x500W Class D Audio Amplifier Board - T-Amp

I did not ask this on the amp forum, because this will be relevant to my build thread on this forum.

Hi, specified 312W/3 ohms at THD+N 1%, about 117 W/8 ohms and when you reduce the THD specification for audiophile quality you are looking at less than 100W. Not bad considering the cost. How is that going to sound, beats me. I haven't had anything except good quality class AB designs.

The 3015LF is a very capable driver and works well in a 2.4-2.8 cu. ft. ported cabinet. Can be tuned as low as 36 Hz in the larger 2.8 cab. Make sure you use at least a 4" port, 6" is better. With 60 honest watts it can run you out of a typical residential room. Very dynamic. If you plan to equalize to add output below 35 Hz, you must be careful and add a sharp filter at 32 Hz. Great driver!

Thank you for all of the specific advice for the driver, John! So now, that makes a new twist. If it can play THAT loudly with 60 honest watts, I can't imagine the Sure amp I had proposed wouldn't work then. I'm thinking I may go slot loaded.

And you reminded me also ... the 2.8 cu ft box, tuned to 36hz, is what gives me the flat response to 42hz. So I will definitely add the sharp filter.

Just wondering if anyone would help me out. For the above 3012LF Neo driver, I need to know the proper length of the 6" port, to make the 36hz tuning, in the 2.8 cu ft box, please? I need the volume, to figure a slot loaded design instead. Thanks

I'm about to buy some lumber! :D

And you reminded me also ... the 2.8 cu ft box, tuned to 36hz, is what gives me the flat response to 42hz.

Xsim shows -F3 = 65Hz for two Kappalite 3012LF sharing ported 2.8cuft.

Attachments

• 2xKappalite 2012LF.JPG
    2xKappalite 2012LF.JPG
    182.8 KB · Views: 154
Using WinIDS.
ONE Eminence KappaLite 3012LF in a 2.8cuft volume with a port tuned to 36Hz has -F3 = 51Hz with some SPL droop.

ONE Eminence KappaLite 3012LF in a 2.8cuft volume with a port tuned to 43Hz has -F3 = 43Hz with a small bass shelf.

Attachments

• 3012LF in 2.8cuft.JPG
    3012LF in 2.8cuft.JPG
    201.5 KB · Views: 156
What I am aiming for, is strong and flat response to 40hz. I plan on using an 18" sub for the lowest octaves. Having DSP makes this mucho easier!

Not sure ... but I believe I remember John Busch saying some model showed it playing flat to 42 in the 36hz tuned box? Can modeling be THAT different?

As almost always, in normal living rooms you don't need flat speaker response down to the lowest octaves. Ruler flat is usually sounds boomy with hughe peak(s) in practical placements because of room gain. Gently rolloff toward low freqs from around e.g. 100Hz is usually better. If you plan to use sub, than it is even more true, i think.

I'm just too new to know exactly what it is I need, to get what I want. My goal is kind of simple, I think ...

I want these speakers to be able to do FULL justice to 4 string bass. The lower E string, if you will. THAT is the only design requirement I have for the bass section. I only want to sub from 40hz down.

I'm just trying to figure the best enclosure to give me that.

Emi 3012LF F3

Following up on my previous posts..... I currently use the 3012 in a 2.8 gross Cu. Ft. enclosure with a 4.5" Dia X 9.5" port. Estimate net enclosure volume at around 2.65 cu. ft. Using ARTA & True Audio measurement software plus DATS 2 measurement tools fed by a Dayton EMM-6 mic via an Icicle interface, I measure a flat response to 42 Hz. This is with 2.83 volt input, the enclosure 24" off the floor and 36" from a rear wall. The room is 12,000 cu. ft. net volume. (1,400 sq. ft. with 8.7' average ceiling height). Mic distance is 6' from woofer center. If I do an out door ground plane measurement at 3 & 6 ft. (enclosure on the ground) the speaker is actually UP 2 db at 44 Hz. The impedance curve trough is at 34.95 Hz. F1 = 19.5. F2 = 61.91. Effective QTS of the system is .713. QE .766 & QM 10.34.

Simulations are great tools, but rarely verify exactly. Box losses can not be predicted. EVERY driver, even from the same production run can vary a surprising amount. The old caveat applies, Your Mileage May Vary!

Wow, John ... That is some detailed info! Thank you. My listening room is currently dictated by my living conditions. I'm building a home on my property soon, but that may be 6 - 8 months away still. So for now, I am in a near field situation, almost. I should NOT get good sound at all. But I do! Somehow, the speakers where they must be .... my listening chair where it must be ... and it somehow works wonderfully.

But now let's get honest. My listening room is only 8.5 feet wide. The speakers get placed one inch from the side walls. Angled pretty much directly at me. I sit exactly 9 feet away. I do not have a back wall behind me, for at least 30 feet.
The speakers are 3.5 feet from the wall behind them. So there is no doubt I will have cabin gain, with my ceilings only 7 feet tall.

I wish I FULLY understood what all of your measurements and specs mean.

On to the enclosure ... I had originally planned to simply double up 3/4 MDF, for 1.5" thick walls, with one vertical brace, and three horizontal ones, in the 2.8 cu ft enclosure.

I can not afford Baltic Birch for cabinets of this size.

Is the 1.5" walls too much, for an enclosure that won't be playing below 39hz ?
Any thoughts ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.