Watt power for Kappalite 3012LF Neo ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is the 1.5" walls too much, for an enclosure that won't be playing below 39hz ?
Any thoughts ?
Cabinet vibrations will create more loss (and "mud") in the upper range (80-100 Hz) than the lower range (40-50 Hz.

A cabinet can't be too thick or inert, but 1.5" is not really needed on a relatively small ported enclosure like you plan if well-braced.

As far as what John Busch wrote, you might consider that the room will probably make more difference in the sound (in his case 2dB at 44 Hz) than minor changes in tuning or construction. +/- 6dB (or more) bass frequency response deviations within the width of a couch can be common in small rooms.

@ weltersys .... Good point. LineSource has suggested I build a removable port section, which will allow me to sample different port lengths easily. Should work wonderfully.

I must admit. I sure wish I knew how to really interpret what John Busch posted about his experience in his room. Because even if it can't relate in my system, he definitely threw down some first hand info!

I just wish someone had that experience with the AST25120, which they would share with me. :cheers:

Enclosure build info

Following up on past posts... I use the 3012LF in a commercial hi-fi monitor role. Getting the most dynamic and clean acoustic output from the lightest off the shelf high output 12" driver.

The front baffle is removable... 1.25" MDF.... sacrilege according to a lot of folks... the main enclosure is .75 MDF with a outer layer of .3" birch ply. Port is in the back. Similar to the Parts Express hi-fi curved enclosures only bigger and purposely built for the application.

It is a two way utilizing an interesting Peerless / Tymphany horn loaded tweeter.

The back of the enclosure is .75" MDF. I incorporate a couple of 1" Oak dowels in key locations to damp the enclosure. A test using a simple stethoscope indicates a well damp enclosure. It is heavy at 90 lb. Wish I could reduce that. I truly believe in the KISS method and have applied it to this product.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.