Components Questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
-yeah, I've heard the Morel and really like it. I've NOT heard the SB carbon fiber.

Still, we are talking about ceiling speakers here (for the SB drivers), AND dsp corrected at that. (..and of course the Morel drivers for the front channels are also dsp corrected).

My only real concern here is the orientation of the Aurum Cantus AMT tweeters in the ceiling in relation to the listeners to avoid the driver's vertical dispersion loss.

A representation of what should work for both pairs of ceiling speakers:

Atmos (over-head of listeners in-ceiling):

Left: tweeter-midbass * Left Listener Right Listener * Right: midbass-tweeter

Rear (behind listeners in-ceiling) about in-line with Atmos speakers:

midbass ***************************************** midbass
tweeter ****************************************** tweeter

-note that in neither case is the tweeter "above" the midbass driver as would be with your Left Center and Right channels (in a typical stand-mount design). Instead the tweeter is "opposed"/parallel to the driver and shifts position depending on Atmos vs. Rear channels.

Last edited:
Thanks. The only problem I think I’m going to have is that the space I have for the center channel I think the 6” woofer is going to be too large. I may need to try to find a 5” or a 4” woofer to fit the space. It’s going in a wall unit that’s why. I’ll have to measure when I get home.

5.51" seems to be your tolerance for width.

If the beams are 6" on center it's not going to be enough unless you cut into them slightly near the front of the beam (for the driver's frame). (..a plunge router can do this easily.) This is assuming neither beam is a support beam.

Driver depth should be fine though..

@scottg here’s a pic. As you can see I have limited vertical space underneath the TV where there’s suppose to be a center channel which is why i was initially thinking of going with the two 4” focal woofers here. I could do that and maybe mount the tweeters on the left and right side of the TV directly into the wood, or mount them horizontal. Let me know what you think and I can post specs on those. I can go with the Morels for the left and right speaker as I plan on making room for those as I want those to be my primary speakers used when playing vinyl.

IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0521.JPG

-why not just make it a black "sound bar" that spans the width of the cabinet top (or the TV)? (..and presumably the depth of the cabinet face.)

With that you can either adjust the height of the TV up a bit, or make the baffle slant backward enough so that the height is OK. With a slant baffle you can "frame-it-out" with black foam (driver's appearing "in-set") so that the front is NOT slanted, but rather is flush with the cabinet face.

Note: I'd do 2 Morels (8 ohm wired in parallel) for the center channel with the tweeter in between: M-T-M.

Last edited:
Slant-faced:

https://images.cdn.whathifi.com/sit...nds/Neat/neat_iota_alpha_01.jpg?itok=9V2mudxI

http://img.canuckaudiomart.com/uploads/large/809965-bose-601-series-iii-speakers.jpg

..but appearing more like this in the front flat because of the frame-grill and foam surrounding the drivers:

http://www.audiogurus.com/learn/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/MartinLogan-Motion-50XT-angled-black.jpg

Note the top monolithic appearance of the speaker:

http://usr.audioasylum.com/images/2...s-ii-direct-reflecting-vintage-speakers-1.jpg

-yet this is what it looks like underneath:

http://img.canuckaudiomart.com/uplo...series_2_speakers_mint_woriginal_brochure.jpg

(..gloss black vinyl wrap (used on cars) can give you that piano black finish without painting.)

-using a very light-weight black fabric grill-cloth (sourced from womens nylon stockings), you'll still be able to see the drivers easily.

..and 30 ppi black block filter foam.

-I doubt the poly-cone will sound like the carbon fiber version. :eek:

Last edited:
Ok, I understand now. I don't think slant faced would look bad. I could come up with something cool. So should I do two 6" drivers or can I get away with one?

Maybe two 6" would be overkill but I'm open to it.

Next step is to find a receiver.

Cheers,
Joey

-you can do one driver, but it will look weird.

CAUTION.

Remember, what we are talking about here is an "active" biamplified speaker with a digital crossover from minidsp. (..and from the minidsp you'll go to your amplifiers - one for the tweeter and one for the midbass driver(s).)

This is NOT something that takes amplifier out from an HT Reciever. Instead it's more like a *pre*amplifer with component level out (..that goes into the minidsp crossover). This plate amplifier has the minidsp crossover in it already:

miniDSP PWR-ICE125 2 x 125 Watt DSP ICEpower Plate Amplifier

HT preamps are usually more costly than HT Recievers.

Last edited:
Ok makes sense. So I'm going to need to amplify each speaker individually? I agree it will look weird. So what I'll do in that case is for the front 3 speakers, I'll use a two woofer design on each one and make it a 3 way. For the speakers above and behind I'll just use a woofer and a tweeter and make it a two way. That will solve the looks issue, and give me lots of power for when I listen to my turntable on the two speakers only.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.