Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Components Questions
Components Questions
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th March 2018, 09:46 PM   #51
maLx is offline maLx  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks. The only problem I think Iím going to have is that the space I have for the center channel I think the 6Ē woofer is going to be too large. I may need to try to find a 5Ē or a 4Ē woofer to fit the space. Itís going in a wall unit thatís why. Iíll have to measure when I get home.
Old 4th March 2018, 10:02 PM   #52
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

5.51" seems to be your tolerance for width.

If the beams are 6" on center it's not going to be enough unless you cut into them slightly near the front of the beam (for the driver's frame). (..a plunge router can do this easily.) This is assuming neither beam is a support beam.

Driver depth should be fine though..
Old 4th March 2018, 10:03 PM   #53
diyAudio Member

Iíll show you a pic when I can because itís not because of the beams
Old 6th March 2018, 01:26 AM   #54
diyAudio Member

@scottg hereís a pic. As you can see I have limited vertical space underneath the TV where thereís suppose to be a center channel which is why i was initially thinking of going with the two 4Ē focal woofers here. I could do that and maybe mount the tweeters on the left and right side of the TV directly into the wood, or mount them horizontal. Let me know what you think and I can post specs on those. I can go with the Morels for the left and right speaker as I plan on making room for those as I want those to be my primary speakers used when playing vinyl.

IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0521.JPG
Old 6th March 2018, 03:00 AM   #55
diyAudio Member

-why not just make it a black "sound bar" that spans the width of the cabinet top (or the TV)? (..and presumably the depth of the cabinet face.)

With that you can either adjust the height of the TV up a bit, or make the baffle slant backward enough so that the height is OK. With a slant baffle you can "frame-it-out" with black foam (driver's appearing "in-set") so that the front is NOT slanted, but rather is flush with the cabinet face.

Note: I'd do 2 Morels (8 ohm wired in parallel) for the center channel with the tweeter in between: M-T-M.

Last edited by ScottG; 6th March 2018 at 03:02 AM.
Old 6th March 2018, 03:07 AM   #56
diyAudio Member

Good ideas. But Iím not sure what you mean by slant. You wouldnít the speakers face up at like a 45 degree angle if that was the case? Maybe you can link me to an example?

What about this woofer? I could most likely squeeze this in somehow

Morel CAW 538 5" Cast Frame Woofer
Old 6th March 2018, 11:36 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

Slant-faced:

https://images.cdn.whathifi.com/site...?itok=9V2mudxI

http://img.canuckaudiomart.com/uploa...i-speakers.jpg

..but appearing more like this in the front flat because of the frame-grill and foam surrounding the drivers:

http://www.audiogurus.com/learn/wp-c...gled-black.jpg

Note the top monolithic appearance of the speaker:

http://usr.audioasylum.com/images/2/...speakers-1.jpg

-yet this is what it looks like underneath:

http://img.canuckaudiomart.com/uploa...l_brochure.jpg

(..gloss black vinyl wrap (used on cars) can give you that piano black finish without painting.)

-using a very light-weight black fabric grill-cloth (sourced from womens nylon stockings), you'll still be able to see the drivers easily.

..and 30 ppi black block filter foam.

-I doubt the poly-cone will sound like the carbon fiber version.

Last edited by ScottG; 6th March 2018 at 11:41 PM.
Old 7th March 2018, 12:02 AM   #58
diyAudio Member

Ok, I understand now. I don't think slant faced would look bad. I could come up with something cool. So should I do two 6" drivers or can I get away with one?

Maybe two 6" would be overkill but I'm open to it.

Next step is to find a receiver.

Cheers,
Joey
Old 7th March 2018, 12:12 AM   #59
diyAudio Member

-you can do one driver, but it will look weird.

CAUTION.

Remember, what we are talking about here is an "active" biamplified speaker with a digital crossover from minidsp. (..and from the minidsp you'll go to your amplifiers - one for the tweeter and one for the midbass driver(s).)

This is NOT something that takes amplifier out from an HT Reciever. Instead it's more like a *pre*amplifer with component level out (..that goes into the minidsp crossover). This plate amplifier has the minidsp crossover in it already:

miniDSP PWR-ICE125 2 x 125 Watt DSP ICEpower Plate Amplifier

HT preamps are usually more costly than HT Recievers.

Last edited by ScottG; 7th March 2018 at 12:16 AM.
Old 7th March 2018, 12:15 AM   #60
diyAudio Member

Ok makes sense. So I'm going to need to amplify each speaker individually? I agree it will look weird. So what I'll do in that case is for the front 3 speakers, I'll use a two woofer design on each one and make it a 3 way. For the speakers above and behind I'll just use a woofer and a tweeter and make it a two way. That will solve the looks issue, and give me lots of power for when I listen to my turntable on the two speakers only.

Components QuestionsHide this!Advertise here!