Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th April 2004, 03:30 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to bhg41088 Send a message via MSN to bhg41088 Send a message via Yahoo to bhg41088
Default Ultimate HT sub?

Most explosions and things in HT are more felt than heard. I thought, that the tumult had to be the best sub ever if you want to FEEL an explosion. But then i stumbled across the Blueprint 18.
It has a high sensitivity, moves 51mm p-p, and has 1210cm^2 of Sd. This all rusults in about a liter more of air moving capibility than a tumult. The real deal part of this is that, it is so much cheaper. Where your looking at 1000+ dollars for a pair of Tumults, you would only have 640 dollars in subs, and thats shipped. Think about a pair of these, runnung with about 1000rms shared. I honestly thing that 12-13L of total linear displacement (for the pair) would equal some serious SPL at even the lowest frequencies. At you would definantly have that real shock factor when someone see's two massive 18's sitting there in your Den.
Old 9th April 2004, 04:25 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Myabe I'm nitpicking here, but why would you pick something over another in an "ultimate" setup because of price?
Old 9th April 2004, 04:28 PM   #3
postman is offline postman  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to postman
I think 2 tumults would be very very hard to beat, dont they have something like 34mm oneway xmax ?
Old 9th April 2004, 06:13 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to bhg41088 Send a message via MSN to bhg41088 Send a message via Yahoo to bhg41088
Honestly i think the 2 18" BP's would eat the tumults, but for around the same price one could aquire 4 of the BP 12's for 159 each. This would be equal to around 4 tempest.
Old 9th April 2004, 06:19 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

What about the Resonant Engineering XXX 18"? 1210^2cm of SD, 62mm p-p and an XBL^2 motor. BTW, it's made by the same company that manufactures the Blueprint subs (Destijl Engineering).

-Robert
Old 9th April 2004, 07:09 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Fs of 26Hz... Is that low enough for tactile bass?
Old 9th April 2004, 07:22 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

FS doesnt necessarily mean how low it will go. There are other factors.
Old 9th April 2004, 09:03 PM   #8
Rocky is offline Rocky  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Ultimate HT sub?

Quote:
Originally posted by bhg41088
that real shock factor when someone see's two massive 18's sitting there in your Den.
since WAF is a no-issue here, if you have a basement, why not seal the basement door real tightly, drill some 18inch holes in your floor, mount the woofers upfiring, glue some coins and screws onto the driver cone, and get a new protective metal grill floor on top of the existing?

Ported enclosure ofcourse, using the chimney, or you could couple it to the building ventilation to get some good all-over bass? I'd like to see santa's face when he realizes he's trapped in a vented speaker system

Old 9th April 2004, 09:34 PM   #9
Paul W is offline Paul W  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm fairly sure there is an Infinite Baffle installation at "The Cult" using four of the Blueprint 18". Should work extremely well.

Twin IB Subs
Old 9th April 2004, 09:57 PM   #10
jonz is offline jonz  Canada
diyAudio Member

There's also another factor when you're looking for subwoofer to look out for ..that there're designed for home audio or pro use..and not for cars..I find subs that are diesigned for car use have a lot less vas...which makes it undesirable for HT use. You would be better off with 4 Tempests...wiht thier high vas and good X-max..or if you have the money you can always go for these...

By Wilson Audio..twin 18 ichers..nearly 8 feet high 700 lbsClick the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!