Horn tweeter help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey guys
actually I just finished building a 3-way horn consisting of Beyma 15Mi100 15" woofer, B&C DCM50 2" CD and Beyma CP-25 tweeter. the speaker is semi-active with a Hypex PSC2.400. I'm feeding one channel to woofer and crossed it LR4@300hz with DSP and the other channel goes to midrage and tweeter. I concocted a passive Xover for midrange and tweeter. a first order LPF for midrange and a second order HPF for tweeter at 5.1khz. everything seems good to me except the high frequency response around 5khz up to 10khz with five or six deep and humps like a sine wave! :confused:

the only thing that comes to my mind is that the midrange first order LPF is not adequate so it affect the tweeter response. am I missing something here?

663791d1519151505-horn-tweeter-help-untitled-1-gif

Attachments

• Untitled-1.gif
    Untitled-1.gif
    59.9 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
I suppose it's because of overlapping midrange on tweeter frequency response as I have not reversed the polarity of tweeter (it's crossed LR2). I think if I reverse the polarity I will see that sine wave turn into something else and at the end I have to use a steeper slope for midrange LPF

as I predicted the problem was caused by shallow slope of midrange LPF. I added a cap to midrange so now it's crossed 12db/octave. I'm still not sure about the polarity. now midrange and tweeter both are LR2. what do you guys do in such a case that two drivers are crossed with 12db slope? reverse the polarity of both drivers?

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
It's handy to look at the phase of the separate ways. If you are measuring here but not simulating, measure both ways and pick one.

Often either polarity isn't entirely correct. If you measure each way separately, find the frequency where they cross, then measure together and see how much more response there is at that frequency. 4-6dB would be fairly common. Also look around this frequency for an octave or two for regions that fall when combined.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.