Dome tweeters that compete with good ribbons?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I realize this question is extremely broad. So let me narrow it down some ... I am not looking for personal preference opinions about domes vs ribbons. I am looking for people who kind of feel, RAAL quality ribbons properly implemented are pretty much close to the top of the food chain.
For people with that general mindset, what domes do you feel are as good, or close? Notwithstanding of price.

This is just for kicks. And for me to learn, as always.

Last edited:
Thanks, Andy. I wasn't aware there were any diamond domes. Crazy.

And there are other fancy domes such as ceramic domes and beryllium domes. It all comes down to using the stiffest possible material that can withstand vibration at 20khz frequency without twisting or bending that can cause distortion. I guess nothing can beat diamond for being very hard and stiff. As I understood because of the inherent shape of the ribbon tweeter, it's hard to manufacture a diamond or ceramic or beryllium ribbon (if not possible at all). Besides the domes can play at lower frequency which I think is more important than the supposedly more dispersion aspect of the ribbon at high frequency.

Subjectively after hearing a few of each, much prefer beryllium domes to diamond; the TLab and Scanspeak Be domes sound smooth/very detailed.
Good point about AMT's ..but most measure a bit ragged- the Beyma TPL-75 is good for a 2khz crossover and measures v well altho havent heard it.
Ribbons- Viawave GRT145 can be crossed almost as low and is currently my fav tweeter

Thank you, Bill. It seems interesting it seems to take the most expensive domes to compare to ribbons. I am starting to get excited by AMTs after listening to my old Heils. Makes me really wonder what something like the Mundorf AMTs must sound like :eek:
I would have trouble spending $500 for a dome tweeter, when I could get the Mundorf AMT25CM1.1-R for that same coin.

Thank you, Bill. It seems interesting it seems to take the most expensive domes to compare to ribbons. I am starting to get excited by AMTs after listening to my old Heils. Makes me really wonder what something like the Mundorf AMTs must sound like :eek:
I would have trouble spending $500 for a dome tweeter, when I could get the Mundorf AMT25CM1.1-R for that same coin.
Its not that simple. Some budget tweets ( ie XT25 or a couple from Seas) are extremely good. It depends on your needs, design implementation and budget.

The Mundorf AMT25CM1.1-R resonance frequency FS is rated at 1.4KHz which means you have to cross it at at least 2*1.4K = 2.8KHz and also at pretty steep slope. That pretty much restricts it too a very narrow window of application. For comparison, the Scan Speak AirCir FS is 480Hz.
Besides the dome just looks a lot better. The Mundorf AMT25CM1.1-R price is $450 so I am not sure that is an advantage.
I am sure there are things ribbons do well but all thing considered domes are still the best.

Last edited:

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
The Mundorf AMT25CM1.1-R resonance frequency FS is rated at 1.4KHz which means you have to cross it at at least 2*1.4K = 2.8KHz and also at pretty steep slope.

What are you talking about?! That is utter nonsense! That rule of thumb came up with dome tweeters because, well, as most traditional coil transducers, got a strong impedance peak and high Qts which is usually irrelevant for a tweeter but results in a bad decay and THD around the fs. But this is not a dome tweeter, you cannot apply every rule onto everything. With an AMT you do not get that peak, the impedance is rather flat. That means, you are only limited by the THD and the spl at the xo frequency. Mundorf says 2000Hz at 12dB or 2500 at 6dB. Can that be right? Let's look at the measurements:

attachment.php

Yes, you can see the bump of the resonance. But did you notice the scale of the graph?

So now for the decay, note especally the range around the fs (1,4kHz):

amt-tweeter-mundorf-amt25cm11-r.jpg

Not a reason to worry about, is it?

Ok, now distortion.

attachment.php

That is at 2,83V or on other words, 92dB at the lower end. Clearly bleow 0,3% K2 at 2kHz, the rest (K3, K5) much lower. Prette much usable, isn't it? Oh, 92dB is too low? Yes, I agree. Now let's look at 105dB:

attachment.php

K2 still at only 0,8% at 2kHz. You don't see many dome tweeters with a that low THD at 105dB.

If the only tool you've got is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. Now please tell me how that rule applies to AMTs.

Attachments

• amt-tweeter-mundorf-amt25cm11-r.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,464
  • amt-tweeter-mundorf-amt25cm11-r (1).jpg
    amt-tweeter-mundorf-amt25cm11-r (1).jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 891
  • amt-tweeter-mundorf-amt25cm11-r (2).jpg
    amt-tweeter-mundorf-amt25cm11-r (2).jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 884
What are you talking about?! That is utter nonsense! That rule of thumb came up with dome tweeters because, well, as most traditional coil transducers, got a strong impedance peak and high Qts which is usually irrelevant for a tweeter but results in a bad decay and THD around the fs. But this is not a dome tweeter, you cannot apply every rule onto everything. With an AMT you do not get that peak, the impedance is rather flat. That means, you are only limited by the THD and the spl at the xo frequency. Mundorf says 2000Hz at 12dB or 2500 at 6dB. Can that be right? Let's look at the measurements:

attachment.php

Yes, you can see the bump of the resonance. But did you notice the scale of the graph?

So now for the decay, note especally the range around the fs (1,4kHz):

Not a reason to worry about, is it?

Ok, now distortion.

attachment.php

That is at 2,83V or on other words, 92dB at the lower end. Clearly bleow 0,3% K2 at 2kHz, the rest (K3, K5) much lower. Prette much usable, isn't it? Oh, 92dB is too low? Yes, I agree. Now let's look at 105dB:

attachment.php

K2 still at only 0,8% at 2kHz. You don't see many dome tweeters with a that low THD at 105dB.

If the only tool you've got is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. Now please tell me how that rule applies to AMTs.

I can't argue with you since I haven't used it personally but for the same money, I'd rather go with ScanSpeak beryllium tweeter. A good Toyota is still a Toyota.

Last edited:

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
I can't argue with you since I haven't used it personally but for the same money, I'd rather go with ScanSpeak beryllium tweeter. A good Toyota is still a Toyota.

The BE drivers are excellent, no doubt about that. I don't want to persuade you to use anything else. You gave a wrong statement based on, well, assumptions and I could not leave it standing there like that. Not more, not less.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.