Need help with simple MTM crossover design, how does this look?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2018
Paid Member
Does this MTM crossover look like it will work?

I am looking to build an MTM with Dayton RS180-4 bass drivers and DC28F tweeters.

Using all I learned yesterday, I came up with this crossover design,

aukObCo.jpg

This is what the freq response looks like,

Ycu0ftV.jpg

and possibly using these components,

i6nUwcl.jpg

Am I even close on this?

Thank you,

David.

Last edited:
Hi Dave, you have simulated without a baffle step impact. The overall sensitivity with full bsc compensation and worked out crossover will be about 85 dB. I'd increase the XO frequency to 2 kHz. The graph is my simulation of the units with your crossover in an enclosure and free space. Used the tweeter response off Zaph's website. The closer to the walls, the less of bsc should be calculated in. One has got to try out first to know better.

Attachments

• Dave's filter with BSC factored in.jpg
    Dave's filter with BSC factored in.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 220
Joined 2018
Paid Member
Hi Dave, you have simulated without a baffle step impact. The overall sensitivity with full bsc compensation and worked out crossover will be about 85 dB. I'd increase the XO frequency to 2 kHz. The graph is my simulation of the units with your crossover in an enclosure and free space. Used the tweeter response off Zaph's website. The closer to the walls, the less of bsc should be calculated in. One has got to try out first to know better.

Bok,

Did you model one or two bass drivers?

David.

I have modeled two of the woofers wired in series as you have done. The spl reduction comes from the baffle of the enclosure that is not supporting bass frequencies as an "infinite baffle" is, and manufacturer's graphs are done in such a way. Still, if you move your loudspeakers closer to the walls then this range of bass spl will start to increase, that's why I said that one needed to experiment with it to develop a feeling what one might like better.

Noticed your latest 4th order crossover filter with RC's on both of the units with parallel RL before everything. That all seems unnecessary complicated for you could have gotten an equivalent response with almost only half as much parts. I can promise you to work out frd's and zma's for your woofers once you define the baffle measures and driver position. Then you will see more clearly what the crossover is doing.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
This is the crossover I am going with.

I changed the drivers as the project was getting to expensive to build. I am building these for fun more than anything just to see how they turn out.

I ordered everything today and will post pictures of the build if anyone is interested.

Thank you,

David.

Attachments

• da175 crossover done.jpg
    da175 crossover done.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 98
  • da175 curve.jpg
    da175 curve.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 95
  • da175 imp.jpg
    da175 imp.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 56
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.