Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th April 2004, 01:20 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default SS9500/9700 or vifa ring radiator??

This is the question, for a two way sealed box, wich vifa midwoofers, what is better???

I use the SS9500 but not the Vifa´s , someboby work wich the two units, and can compare it???

Best regards...
Old 9th April 2004, 01:40 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I have used the 95 and the 97. The 97 is clearly a superior tweeter in comparison with better detail and dynamics, both micro and macro. But is it worth the extra money? yes and no, if you have the money AND a really good hifi then yes. If you dont then no its not, more emphasis on the really good hifi though.

I have not heard a ring radiator so cant comment. But from what I have read the 95/97 are better devices then the vifa ring. But the scan ring is superior to all of them.
Old 9th April 2004, 02:25 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Jim85IROC
I've briefly listened to the XT25 and the 2905 revelator tweeter - I don't know if it was the 9700 or the 9900. My time listening to them was very brief, but I liked them both. Both were very good tweeters. I found the xt25 to sound a bit crisper with more detail, but because I listened so briefly, I could be mistaking brightness for detail. I'll be listening to both speakers this weekend, and I hope to have time to listen more closely. I can comment on sunday night or some time mid-week if I don't get a chance to reply before my job sends me on travel. I'll also be listening to some usher tweeters, as well as plenty of other stuff over the weekend (I'm hitting the high end audio shops on a CT trip!). I'll post a full report with all listening impressions when I get back.
Old 9th April 2004, 02:41 AM   #4
ucla88 is offline ucla88  Tahiti
diyAudio Member

Fwiw, you can look at the tests on my page which include the 9500 and xt15, and soon will include the 9300/9700, xt19, mdt30, ow2 and others.

Mark K's speaker pages
Old 9th April 2004, 03:42 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks....

The SS´s, seems to be better....

But, between SS9500/9700 and Seas T25CF001????
Old 9th April 2004, 09:44 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

The 97 IS better then the 95 although not with any tests to show this. Linkwitz has tested the 97 and liked its very low distortion non linear i think.

Between the 97 and the 001 i would have to say the 97 although I cant say because I have not heard the 001. But the 002 is usually the tweet compared with the 97 and the 002 is better then the 001. Between the 002 and the 97 is personal preference. Both are very good tweeters, some prefer the scan model some prefer the seas.
Old 9th April 2004, 03:12 PM   #7
Rocky is offline Rocky  Norway
diyAudio Member

Forgive me for posting questions in your thread hiend, but this one goes to 5th:

How would you say the SS97 compares to Thiel/Accuton (apart from a dispersion point of view)?
Old 9th April 2004, 03:54 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Don´t problem Rocky, all opinions about tweeters are welcome....

....and more if are abouts ScanSpeak9500/9700.

Very important your question, the Thiel/Accuton has the fame of to be one of most detailed tweeters on the planet.

It will be detailed??, or, detailed and silker as the SS´s???
Old 9th April 2004, 04:42 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Unfortunately I have not used or listened too any accuton drivers let alone a tweeter! One day I hope to, im slowly using a wider variety of drivers as time goes on but I have plenty of time to go as im only 19.

Next on the agenda, after ive completed the three projects I have on the go, is a stand mount using the excel no ferro tweet, the 003, with a vifa XT woofer.
Old 9th April 2004, 05:38 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to jewilson
There seem to be a number of companies switching to the ring radiators tweeters from Vifa and Scan-Speak. I have long been a big fan of the Scan-Speak tweeters and use a 9500 in my systems. However, there are better tweeter on the market the DynAudio Esotar, the Scan Speak and Vifa Ring Radiators.

I big issue is the price of them and since I still own a pair of Esotars.

R2904/7000: Premium Ring Radi ator 4 520 94.5 0.2 $450.00
D2905/9700: 1” tex tile dome, SD-2, LCD, NRC 8 500 225@2.8k 89.5 0.4 $179.00
D2905/9900: 1” tex tile dome, SD-2, LCD, NRC, CDD 8 500 225@2.8k 91 0.4 $208.00

The R2904/7000 tweeter is the new flagship tweeter in the Scan-speak line. This tweeter incorporates many innovative design concepts. The first notable difference is the use of a phase plug. The dome is attached to the phase plug, so the radiating area is now concentrated around the voice coil. This offers more control and reduces distortion and loss that occur at the center of the dome on dome tweeters. The phase plug also acts as a wave guide, reducing high frequency cancellations. A specially designed venting system uses a needle to cut down on turbulence in the air cavity. Better dynamics are achieved by not using ferrofluid, voice coil cooling is performed by the venting system and conduction through copper rings. The new SD-2 neodymium magnet system improves transient response.

TECHNICAL DATA:
Sensitivity 2.83V/1M 94.5dB
Free air resonance Fs 520 Hz
DC resistance 3.0 ohm
V.C. inductance 0.01 mH
Power 12dB@Hz 150W@2.7K
Effective cone area 8 cm2
V.C. diameter 28 mm
V.C. height -
Air gap height -
Lin. & max. excursion ±0.25 / ±1.3mm
Air gap flux density -