SS9500/9700 or vifa ring radiator??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have used the 95 and the 97. The 97 is clearly a superior tweeter in comparison with better detail and dynamics, both micro and macro. But is it worth the extra money? yes and no, if you have the money AND a really good hifi then yes. If you dont then no its not, more emphasis on the really good hifi though.

I have not heard a ring radiator so cant comment. But from what I have read the 95/97 are better devices then the vifa ring. But the scan ring is superior to all of them.

I've briefly listened to the XT25 and the 2905 revelator tweeter - I don't know if it was the 9700 or the 9900. My time listening to them was very brief, but I liked them both. Both were very good tweeters. I found the xt25 to sound a bit crisper with more detail, but because I listened so briefly, I could be mistaking brightness for detail. I'll be listening to both speakers this weekend, and I hope to have time to listen more closely. I can comment on sunday night or some time mid-week if I don't get a chance to reply before my job sends me on travel. I'll also be listening to some usher tweeters, as well as plenty of other stuff over the weekend (I'm hitting the high end audio shops on a CT trip!). I'll post a full report with all listening impressions when I get back.

The 97 IS better then the 95 although not with any tests to show this. Linkwitz has tested the 97 and liked its very low distortion non linear i think.

Between the 97 and the 001 i would have to say the 97 although I cant say because I have not heard the 001. But the 002 is usually the tweet compared with the 97 and the 002 is better then the 001. Between the 002 and the 97 is personal preference. Both are very good tweeters, some prefer the scan model some prefer the seas.

Don´t problem Rocky, all opinions about tweeters are welcome....

....and more if are abouts ScanSpeak9500/9700.

Very important your question, the Thiel/Accuton has the fame of to be one of most detailed tweeters on the planet.

It will be detailed??, or, detailed and silker as the SS´s???

Unfortunately I have not used or listened too any accuton drivers let alone a tweeter! One day I hope to, im slowly using a wider variety of drivers as time goes on but I have plenty of time to go as im only 19.

Next on the agenda, after ive completed the three projects I have on the go, is a stand mount using the excel no ferro tweet, the 003, with a vifa XT woofer.

There seem to be a number of companies switching to the ring radiators tweeters from Vifa and Scan-Speak. I have long been a big fan of the Scan-Speak tweeters and use a 9500 in my systems. However, there are better tweeter on the market the DynAudio Esotar, the Scan Speak and Vifa Ring Radiators.

I big issue is the price of them and since I still own a pair of Esotars.

R2904/7000: Premium Ring Radi ator 4 520 94.5 0.2 $450.00
D2905/9700: 1” tex tile dome, SD-2, LCD, NRC 8 500 225@2.8k 89.5 0.4 $179.00
D2905/9900: 1” tex tile dome, SD-2, LCD, NRC, CDD 8 500 225@2.8k 91 0.4 $208.00

The R2904/7000 tweeter is the new flagship tweeter in the Scan-speak line. This tweeter incorporates many innovative design concepts. The first notable difference is the use of a phase plug. The dome is attached to the phase plug, so the radiating area is now concentrated around the voice coil. This offers more control and reduces distortion and loss that occur at the center of the dome on dome tweeters. The phase plug also acts as a wave guide, reducing high frequency cancellations. A specially designed venting system uses a needle to cut down on turbulence in the air cavity. Better dynamics are achieved by not using ferrofluid, voice coil cooling is performed by the venting system and conduction through copper rings. The new SD-2 neodymium magnet system improves transient response.

TECHNICAL DATA:
Sensitivity 2.83V/1M 94.5dB
Free air resonance Fs 520 Hz
DC resistance 3.0 ohm
V.C. inductance 0.01 mH
Power 12dB@Hz 150W@2.7K
Effective cone area 8 cm2
V.C. diameter 28 mm
V.C. height -
Air gap height -
Lin. & max. excursion ±0.25 / ±1.3mm
Air gap flux density -
Force factor BL Product 2.7 Tm
Moving mass incl. air 0.4 g
Net weight 0.13 kg

I spent more time listening to the XT25 and a Revelator tweeter (9700 or 9900 - don't know). It was a tough comparison because I don't know what crossover each used, and they were paired with different mids. Since both mids were large, I don't think either crossover was likely to be above 2200 or 2500hz. The revelator tweeter was much brighter, which could have been the crossover. But, it felt like it had more air than the xt25. It was hard for me to decide if I heard more "air" or if it was just brighter, but in either case the revelator had very good detail and clarity. The xt25 sounded more subdued (again probably due to the crossover) but still offered a great deal of detail. I liked both tweeters, and wouldn't hesitate to use the xt25 in an affordable configuration.

It could be either the two, brightness or air. I have heard the XT is quite directional with not brilliant of axis performance so this could make it seem less bright and have less air.

The Revelator tweeters are bright, they have a rising response towards 20k+. Because these tweeter are of such high quality when partnered with a good system they sound very clean and well bright, but not bad bright, because it wont go harsh or siblant. As I said some people prefer the Seas or the scan, this is the reason why, some people dont like the rising response some do. There is more to it then that but thats part of the reason.

With regards to manufactures using rings as apposed to soft dome lately I dont think this has anything to do with the units quality. This to me is marketing hype, the tweeters look different and cool, always a good sign. They dont sound bad either which doesnt hurt. But with the massive influx of DVD audio and SACD and their extended frequency response, which only pleases batts, speaker manufactures have a "need" to make the speakers extend up to make use of this too. The ring radiators do this.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.