Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

need help designing a 3-way crossover
need help designing a 3-way crossover
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th February 2018, 04:14 PM   #31
Jarryd is offline Jarryd
diyAudio Member

I have a bunch of inductors in my existing crossover, a 3.9mh and 2.2mh jantzen audio ferrite core inductor's, can i wire them in series and use them?
Old 25th February 2018, 04:39 PM   #32
gfiandy is offline gfiandy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

In theory yes, however if they are close to each other they might couple and you would then get increased and unknown inductance. So if you plan to do this put them so that the cores of the inductors are at right angles to each other this minimises the field interaction and try to get some space between them. This is true for all the other inductors in the design as well try to keep them at right angles and as far apart as possible. The capacitors and resistors can go next to each other there is very little interaction between them.
Old 25th February 2018, 04:49 PM   #33
Jarryd is offline Jarryd
diyAudio Member

Okay. My receiver is a yamaha rn602, it says minimum speaker impedance is 4 ohm, being nominal it should be able to handle the 3 ohm dips right?
Old 25th February 2018, 05:03 PM   #34
gfiandy is offline gfiandy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have managed to keep the impedance just over 4 Ohms across the whole frequency range. However basically you are right if there is a small frequency range dip below 3 ohms it should be OK. The higher in frequency that it occurs the less likely that it will cause a significant problem as most of the power in an audio signal is at low frequencies.
Old 25th February 2018, 05:05 PM   #35
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Frankly, I have never tried opening one as the Dynaudio's I own do not show any such anomalies and the Dayton's appear as if these were a knock-off's. I was thinking out loud when mentioning this FR issue. The greatest challenge is to arrive at a functioning crossover filter.
Old 25th February 2018, 06:17 PM   #36
Jarryd is offline Jarryd
diyAudio Member

Lojzek and Andy, thank you so much for your inputs and your patience for dealing with a noob. I have ordered all my parts shall update you'll once put together

need help designing a 3-way crossoverHide this!Advertise here!