Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

need help designing a 3-way crossover
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th February 2018, 04:54 PM   #11
Jarryd is offline Jarryd
diyAudio Member

@Lojzek Thank you so much
Old 24th February 2018, 07:40 PM   #12
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Would you show the impedance of the mid and tweet separately. Yes, the woofers are in parallel.
Old 24th February 2018, 10:44 PM   #13
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Please do not start multiple threads on the same topic, threads merged.
Old 24th February 2018, 10:54 PM   #14
gfiandy is offline gfiandy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I had a go but will be interested to see what others come up with. The mid range has a very low impedance especially for something that claims to be 8 ohms.

I have attenuated the bass significantly to match the mid range, however once you have baffle loss it probably won't be required.

If you can give an estimate of the box volume. The dimensions of the baffle and the approximate locations of the drivers I can create a much more accurate simulation.

I would not try to build the simulation below it is just a first draft as it does not include baffle loss or bass alignment. To create a simulation that is close to actual you either need to simulate the baffle or even better have actual measurements of the drivers in the box.

Regards,
Andy
Attached Images
File Type: png Dayton 3 way.PNG (244.2 KB, 71 views)
File Type: png Dayton 3 way XOVER.PNG (8.1 KB, 70 views)
File Type: png Dayton 3 way SPL.PNG (103.8 KB, 70 views)
Old 25th February 2018, 03:30 AM   #15
Jarryd is offline Jarryd
diyAudio Member

@Gfiandy here are the following
1. Box will be a sealed box with internal dimension of 131254
2. Baffle will also carry dimensions of 14.513.555.5(external)
3.will be using 1" inch ply for baffle rest will be 3/4" inch for the rest.
4. I plan to go with a TMWW configuration, alignment will start 3 inches from too edge and every driver will be spaced 1.5 inch away from then onwards
Old 25th February 2018, 01:01 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Ok, I have done some baffle simulations.

The normal approach when designing speakers is to use anechoic measurements and correct for that. The first graph shows an anechoic measurement of the baffle diffraction and loss assuming a listening distance of 3m.

As these look like they will be floor standers the second simulation includes the floor gain.

The third option (Which would be very difficult to correct) is for the floor and assuming you have a wall 1.5m away.

None of them include room pressure gain which increases bass at quite low frequencies if the room is relatively small and has stiff walls, this usually isn't much of a problem as it tends to correct for the bottom end roll off of the speaker.

Which one would you prefer me to use for the simulation? My preference would be anechoic as its much easier to cope with. With the others the best I can really do is assume an average line through the response as you cannot really correct out the dips anyway. However as you can see if might be worth allowing some low frequency dip to allow for the floor gain.

Do not worry about the high frequency part of the repose this is just for the bass drivers the midrange and tweeter will need separate simulations.

Regards,
Andy
Attached Images
File Type: png anechoic.PNG (72.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: png Floor.PNG (81.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: png Floor + wall.PNG (83.7 KB, 14 views)
Old 25th February 2018, 01:11 PM   #17
Jarryd is offline Jarryd
diyAudio Member

Andy,

First off thank you so much for all this effort, I'm not really familiar with the design intricacies required, so i would just go along with what you feel would be the best sounding setup. Please do suggest the best setup.
Old 25th February 2018, 01:13 PM   #18
Jarryd is offline Jarryd
diyAudio Member

Also Andy, is there an impedance drop below 4 ohms at any point?
Old 25th February 2018, 01:16 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Another view of the responses the different diffraction responses combined with the two bass drivers in a 138L box (which is what I make for enclosure).

The purple line is the combined response again don't worry to much about the high frequency response the bass driver will be filtered at around 500 - 600 Hz.

Update.

Just saw your message what I will do in that case is go with the anechoic but not try to get the response flat down to Fs and allow some roll off to account for floor and wall + room gain.
Attached Images
File Type: png Bass 138L anechoic.PNG (139.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: png Bass 138L floor.PNG (145.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: png Bass 138L floor and wall.PNG (146.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 25th February 2018, 01:19 PM   #20
Jarryd is offline Jarryd
diyAudio Member

Is there a drop at 1000hz?

need help designing a 3-way crossoverHide this!Advertise here!