Thiel cs2.4 polarity

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of used cs2.4 connect to a Denon AV receiver, during setup the screen show left speaker was out of phase.
I use a 1.5V battery on speakers binding posts and found the left speaker polarity inverted. Open up both speakers the crossovers wiring look identical. Can someone please diagnose what is the cause?:confused:

Attachments

• 20180212_144252-1.jpg
    20180212_144252-1.jpg
    899.5 KB · Views: 103
  • thiel cs2.4 crossovers.jpg
    thiel cs2.4 crossovers.jpg
    658.3 KB · Views: 114
Thiel cs2.4 fixing

I tried revert the left speaker connection, the bass was better but the imaging was bad! Open the speaker look inside again, all wiring look ok, So I cut the woofer wires, use a 1.5V battery check and found the woofer was wired invert polarity!:mad:
Look like all these years the left speaker woofer was wire inverted!!!

Attachments

• Thiel cs2.4 speaker connection.jpg
    Thiel cs2.4 speaker connection.jpg
    402.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Thiel cs2.4 woofer.jpg
    Thiel cs2.4 woofer.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 94
  • Thiel cs2.4 fixed.jpg
    Thiel cs2.4 fixed.jpg
    508.8 KB · Views: 91
Depends on which side of the crossover he swapped them. In's or out's.
Assume/accept that there could possibly be a directional quality of some sort of the white/black twisted pair feeding the bass driver.
Swapping polarity at the crossover means that this 'possible' directional quality of some sort is reversed, possibly causing another/different inverted polarity condition.
I won't bother to go into arguments, but by long experience/experiment I am well satisfied that wires/cables can exhibit directional qualities.

And I agree, I would expect better from Theil...
Unskilled assembly shop labour, Monday/Friday afternoon, something went wrong.
Quite a shame really, this owner has spent serious coin and has not had the correct customer experience as intended by the designer...until now/soon.

Dan.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.