3 Way Crossover - a first attempt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
On reading this, some makes little sense. I have built solid state amps without feedback and solid state amps with output transformers.

Surely the question ought to be whether an amp should have zero output impedance and what to expect if it doesn't.

I see no technical reason that speaker impedance variations must be the responsibility of an amp.

Hi Allen,

With regard to the impedance peak and this driver, my earlier searching around suggested it was prime for use with tube amps. If this is indeed the case then the task is to end up with a reasonably flat system impedance at hopefully something more than 3 ohms that I can then try with either of the 4 or 8 taps.

So am I correct thinking this goal is achieved with a suitably designed xo?

On reading this, some makes little sense. I have built solid state amps without feedback and solid state amps with output transformers.

Surely the question ought to be whether an amp should have zero output impedance and what to expect if it doesn't.

I see no technical reason that speaker impedance variations must be the responsibility of an amp.

I found that link useful to explain the basic differences between a tube v ss amps. For my purposes I found this link more applicable to what I'm trying to achieve...

DHTRob - Tubefriendly loudspeakers?

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
With regard to the impedance peak and this driver, my earlier searching around suggested it was prime for use with tube amps.
From what I can imagine for making this claim, either it has gentle impedance variations or would prefer higher output impedance. I feel more comfortable just conjugating and being done with it.

There are other reasons for the 'tube friendly' label but I don't allow any of them to be a factor.

If this is indeed the case then the task is to end up with a reasonably flat system impedance at hopefully something more than 3 ohms that I can then try with either of the 4 or 8 taps.

So am I correct thinking this goal is achieved with a suitably designed xo?
Begin this with your simulator starting with a series RLC across the amp terminals.

Last edited:
...Begin this with your simulator starting with a series RLC across the amp terminals.

Just finished exactly this... a series notch and zobel. See attached.

Regarding the article I cannot add anything about what driver characteristics do or do not suit tube amplification. The only thing that caught my attention was the real world examples of drivers and their impedance / capacitance or inductance relationship.

cheers

Attachments

• LCR + zobel.jpg
    LCR + zobel.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 55
  • impedance.jpg
    impedance.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 51
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Regarding the article I cannot add anything about what driver characteristics do or do not suit tube amplification.
I don't do anything differently. I make my speaker choices without considering the amps and I choose my amp types without considering the speakers.

This doesn't mean I'm not careful to make the amp capable of driving the speaker, and making the speaker a good load to drive.. regardless of the type.

This isn't so easy when you have a pre built amp. What do you know about it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.