Volt BM165 6.5 inch midwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Le looks very high so I suspect that cone breakup from 2-3kHz is quite a bit more severe than the FR plot makes it seem to appear. Probably because of that it should only be used as the bottom of a 3-way to avoid non-linear distortion components falling on the breakup around 2-3kHz.

They look like the business and supposedly the whole line is solid. I just got an account with them as an OEM/distributor and will be placing my first order once I finalize quantities and models. Picking up the 6.5s and the 3in domes in the first order for sure and once I get them I can test them out and report back. I would ask if you would like a pair but you have local distributors that can assist. We do not have any sources in the US and conversion from USD to Sterling/Pound plus shipping and then shipping overseas doesn't make this model competitive for anything other than local (US) sales.

They look like the business and supposedly the whole line is solid. I just got an account with them as an OEM/distributor and will be placing my first order once I finalize quantities and models. Picking up the 6.5s and the 3in domes in the first order for sure and once I get them I can test them out and report back. I would ask if you would like a pair but you have local distributors that can assist. We do not have any sources in the US and conversion from USD to Sterling/Pound plus shipping and then shipping overseas doesn't make this model competitive for anything other than local (US) sales.

I've just ordered a pair from Falcon Acoustics in the UK too, as they have a promotion on at the moment. Volt have a reputation for very good quality drivers, but they are a bit expensive. The double spider is one of their trademarks. Xmax spec is typically very conservative, given the Xmech is +/-12mm.

I have used Volt drivers extensively and are very good.
Have used the BM220.8 in an awesome 2 way monitor crossed over at 2.2k and it remains very composed even when pushed hard. When crossed over to a capable tweeter it sounds punchy and incredibly controlled.

I imagine the 6.5" will have no trouble at 2.2 - 2.5K

They are also as tough as donkey's and can handle gobs of abuse.

I have used Volt drivers extensively and are very good.
Have used the BM220.8 in an awesome 2 way monitor crossed over at 2.2k and it remains very composed even when pushed hard. When crossed over to a capable tweeter it sounds punchy and incredibly controlled.

I imagine the 6.5" will have no trouble at 2.2 - 2.5K

They are also as tough as donkey's and can handle gobs of abuse.

That's great to hear.

I've put the 6.5 inch TS parameters into the MJK ported box worksheet, and it tunes up nicely as an MLTL of around 22 litres.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
That driver does not make much sense. A lot of things are contradictory, the parameters suggest it to be used in a very small sat BR enclosure or horn, yet they got a for a mid-bass driver huge excursion of +/-6,3mm and a double spider (!!) which strongly hint the use as a subwoofer. Such an excursion is completely useless for a bass-mid driver since the intermodulation distortion will be humongous.

Audio Elite, How many liter box volume do you use, and vent size, with the BM2208 woofer? I think Volt drivers seems interesting, I would like to try them some time.

22 litres tuned to 35Hz, as mentioned it is an incredible drive unit that I think is often overlooked due to the old school design. No de modulating ring etc.
The best car in the world can have all the necessary specs, but if it handles like sh1t what's the point of buying it. These drivers just do the job well and are priced accordingly. By the way Quested use a variant of the Volt 220.8
in their active nearfield monitors and is an undeniably great speaker.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
22 litres tuned to 35Hz, as mentioned it is an incredible drive unit that I think is often overlooked due to the old school design. No de modulating ring etc.

It is often overlooked because it doesn't follow anything consistently. It's not outstanding in any regard, it got a lot of comprimises. Here's the simulation in 22l and 35Hz tuning:

attachment.php

I'm sorry but that's not very convincing for the price. The problem is, they want to do everything and in the end they got a driver that's not very good at anything.

Attachments

• Volt_BR.jpg
    Volt_BR.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 1,008
...a double spider (!!) which strongly hint the use as a subwoofer.

Double spiders are standard for Volt drivers, regardless if its intended purpose is as a sub, woofer, mid-woofer or mid.
From the top of my head only their 2" dome goes without.

PS re post above: EBS alignment, I like it...a lot! Perfect for a desktop monitor.

Last edited:

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Double spiders are standard for Volt drivers, regardless if its intended purpose is as a sub, woofer, mid-woofer or mid.
From the top of my head only their 2" dome goes without.

Thanks for this information. A double spider only gives advantages at big excursions. Big excursions and midrange don't mix well because of high THD and IMD distortions. That means you can't use the big excursion in a bass-mid use. And as a subwoofer the parameters aren't very good for a clean bassreflex use.

None of the Volt drivers have exceptionally large linear excursion, they do however have a large excursion before damage.
My 12" woofers have a Xmax of +-5.2mm with Xdam of 30mm but the most extreme is their 10" PA mid with an Xmax of 0.44mm and Xdam of 20mm. Both have double spiders.
Always good to have more than sufficient headroom but double spiders also make it easier to achieve a symmetric suspension and they are part of the cooling system.

All in all Volt drivers are very, very good. Among the very best available.

Attached is the simulated MLTL response using the BM165 from the MJK worksheet.
Cabinet size is 200x206x840mm (WxDxH), 18mm wall thickness
Port is 66mm dia, 127mm long, near the bottom
Damping is 0.5lb/cu ft, for the top 2/3rds of the cabinet

Indicates -3dB at ~45Hz, -6dB at ~40Hz.

Attachments

• BM165 MLTL.PNG
    BM165 MLTL.PNG
    10.4 KB · Views: 288
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.