Eros DIY Loudspeaker - comments!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been looking through the plethora of DIY speaker projects over the past few weeks in search of a decent design to construct as a second system for some new digs we will be moving into in a couple of months.
I'll have a dedicated room for my two channel equipment and I want the second system in the rumpus area for AV, background music, parties etc etc. At this point Speakerbuilder's Eros is looking pretty good and I'll be grateful for any comments, positive or negative, from those out there who have built/use these particular speakers.
For me they are a relatively easy design to construct, have reasonable quality drivers and look to have good backup on Wayne's site. I'm pretty sure I can't source the bass drivers here in Oz so I'll need to order them from overseas. I'd like to have these built in the next 6 - 8 weeks and I'd appreciate and suggestions or alternatives, so long as they meet the KISS criteria.

Cheers,

Well I think the "Reverend" would be somewhat dismayed to see
the Eros (mkII) graded as a "second" system design, from his write
up and the time he's spent tweaking the crossover he seems to
regard it a very serious attempt at a top quality speaker.

If your prepared to order drivers from overseas IMO WJ's Lyra
design seems to fit your criteria somewhat better and is a lot
cheaper, not as efficient but an easy amplifier load.

http://www.speakerbuilder.net/web_files/Projects/Lyra/lyramain.htm

Cabinet details are sketchy. Could easily be converted into a
floor stander. I'd recommend a good internal bracing scheme
and laterally offsetting the mid and treble somewhat.

:) sreten.

Hi Sreten,

I don't mean to knock 'The Reverend's design at all and I've had a good look at the Lyra. The Eros is a floorstander, will still fit my budget even though they are a serious attempt at a top quality loudspeaker..............anyhow if they're that good I'll turf the Audax gear out of the other room and replace them with the Eros MkII's.
What are your thoughts on Wayne's original crossover compared to the series corssover in the MkII's?
Cheers,

I know you didn't mean in that way, but its a
very expensive tweeter to get fried at a party.

MkII crossover absolutely IMO.

Personally don't think WJ's box design skills are really up
with with his measuring electrical skills and IMO it wouldn't
be too hard to come up with a better bracing strategy.

:) sreten.

Hi Sreten,

Thanks for the advice re the tweeter, at my age parties are a little like sex..........can't remember the last time I had a party!! I'll definately go with the series crossover mk II as there is no sense wasting all the good work Wayne has put into these.
Cheers,

I've never heard the Eros, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I have researched it extensively. It was the design I planned on building before I got onto my usher kick. Anyway, most of the comments I've heard in regards to the crossover designs seem to say that solid state amp owners prefer the series 1 crossover, while tube owners prefer the series 2 crossover. I would suggest building both and deciding for yourself.

Hi Jim,

Thanks, it's probably good advice to build both crossovers and see which one works the best. As I understand your post, the original Eros parrallel crossover is said to be more suited to solid state equipment and the MkII series crossover is said to be more suited to tube equipment?
How did your Usher project go? Is it worth consideration?
Cheers,

Attachments

• freds2.jpg
    freds2.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 713
You understood my post correctly. Just to re-iterate, this is what I learned from reading about the Eros, and not something I have any first-hand knowledge of.

My usher project is still a fantasy right now. This weekend I'm going down to a stereo shop in Connecticut that sells Usher loudspeakers. He doesn't have the 737s that I'm planning to build, but he should have a bunch of stuff with the same drivers. I'll get a good idea of how the 2-ways sound as well as some of the larger floor standers.

I'm very gunshy about spending this kind of money on something I've never heard. After hearing them, I will be much more comfortable with my decision, assuming I like what I hear.

Another idea that I'm tossing around is to just build the 2-ways with DM's crossover, and later buy a pair (or maybe 4) 8" usher woofers and build a visual clone of the 738 or 7388, but power the woofers with a subwoofer amplifier and keep them below 100hz. Who knows.:smash:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.