Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

15 Inch 3 way
15 Inch 3 way
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2018, 12:51 PM   #21
Mihai Cimpoeru is offline Mihai Cimpoeru  Romania
diyAudio Member

AllenB i will cross the 15" at 500 hz or 400 hz

KaffiMann do you mean the subs? If so i am using two 18NW100 for 60 hz and below. The cabinets are 150l tuned to 39 hz. Maybe in the future i will change the cabinets to something larger (200-250l) tuned lower. For music they are ok. I need them to be portable for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaffiMann View Post
Is there some reason you can not use TWO faital 6FE200 per speaker?
It's a bit difficult to find 10" and 12" with high sensitivity also, the 6.5" can be placed close together and wired in parallel for higher sensitivity. There is also a 16ohm variant of it, in case you need/want impedance matching drivers.
The two mids do not work as well as one.
Old 8th February 2018, 03:42 PM   #22
LineSource is offline LineSource  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihai Cimpoeru View Post
LineSource I have a DBX measurement mic but i cannot measure the driver only after i buy them, and buid the enclosure.
I could not find polar measurements for the B&C 8PE21.
Attached polar response of 8" pro-midrange with cloth surround suggesting match to 90-degree ME20 between 1600-1800Hz range. You will want to make 8PE21 measurements to set the best crossover frequency before you purchase expensive passive L-R-C parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg example 8in polars.jpg (133.4 KB, 518 views)
Old 8th February 2018, 04:18 PM   #23
DougL is offline DougL  United States
diyAudio Member

I was thinking of the B&C 6PEV13 6-1/2" or B&C 6MD38 6-1/2" as things to look at.

In any event, I think you are on the right track with the B&C 8PE21.

As long as your polar's are compatible, you should do well.

Good Luck.
Old 9th February 2018, 05:59 AM   #24
ICG is offline ICG  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thank you for all of your replies

globalplayer the Faital 6FE200 looks good but the spl is only 95 db. I need a midrange to be as loud ( or louder ) as the midbas, that has 99 db.
No, you don't. These 99dB are only reached in the mids, The spl below the baffle step is ~3-5 dB lower in the enclosure. And you'll lose also some in the LP-filter of the bass. The 6FE200 is probably not suited anyway though - it's level drops at 1,5k to ~93dB. A little dip isn't that bad but I'd prefer to have a bit headroom there since the passive XO will likely eat there a bit too.

I see another problem though, the ME20 is a bit narrow (60°), in the mid it's a lot wider without a WG. Most fullrange uses need a wider dispersion and since you can't cluster this speaker anyway, I'd suggest a bit wider dispersion horn like the excellent (and cheap!) 18s XT120 or similar.

Quote:
Koifarm i don't have enough amplifiers to use active crossover, also i would like the speakers to be used on any amplifier.
The class D one and the DCX sometimes i rent it to events so i have to use the speakers with a Harman Kardon AVR132 that has 40w per channel ( enough to get to 114 db at full power on these speakers)
You could easily use some cheap & good class D mini-amp there. That will be a LOT less you're spending than on the crossover parts. And you won't have any spl issues with i.e. the 6FE200 (or different) mid driver.
Old 9th February 2018, 06:03 AM   #25
globalplayer is offline globalplayer  Germany
diyAudio Member

ICG: nice to see you are back. I was missing you and your accurateness already.
Old 9th February 2018, 07:20 AM   #26
ICG is offline ICG  Germany
diyAudio Member

Heh, thanks. I'm not that regularily on in the forums, more like episodes, that depends on how I feel.

Back to topic.. 2 of the mid drivers. Well, that can be an option but that makes the speaker very tall and well noticable the sound wandering up and down with the frequency. That can be acceptable with acutal PA use but as far as I understood it, the speaker is for home use too. The problem is, with this setup it only becomes homogenous sound in a greater distance, the shortest acceptable listening distance starts around 3-5m and that might pose a problem. I'd at first determine where you want to cross over, then try to look for a loud driver.
Old 9th February 2018, 10:52 AM   #27
Scott L is offline Scott L  United States
diyAudio Member

15 Inch 3 way
Default It's actually a 1.5 system

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaffiMann View Post
Ahem... Great minds and all that... :-)
What are you matching them with down low?
For now, just a home theater sub (2x 15 inch units, but in a common enclosure)

__________________________________________________ ____________

I neglected to mention in my previous post, that I have these 2x 6fe200's
in a 1.5 configuration, for the exact reasons mentioned above. The highs are rolled off of the bottom unit, and said bottom unit is utilized to compensate for baffle step diffraction. Smaller sized mid range units, such as the 5 or 6 inch range, when used in singles, often times sound a bit to "thin" in the lower mid range, for my tastes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6fe200-2.jpg (266.3 KB, 439 views)
File Type: jpg HT sub.jpg (839.1 KB, 369 views)

Last edited by Scott L; 9th February 2018 at 10:56 AM. Reason: additonal text
Old 10th February 2018, 07:23 AM   #28
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
diyAudio Member

So it's actually a 4.5 way setup? That is a lot of fiddling with xo to get it "just right".
Must have taken a lot of time.
Old 10th February 2018, 11:14 AM   #29
Scott L is offline Scott L  United States
diyAudio Member

15 Inch 3 way
No, the picture is mis-leading and it's my fault.

it's a 3.5 way (technicality speaking). what appears to be a 12 inch in the 2 cubic foot box, is not used.
Old 14th February 2018, 08:45 AM   #30
Mihai Cimpoeru is offline Mihai Cimpoeru  Romania
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICG View Post
I see another problem though, the ME20 is a bit narrow (60°), in the mid it's a lot wider without a WG. Most fullrange uses need a wider dispersion and since you can't cluster this speaker anyway, I'd suggest a bit wider dispersion horn like the excellent (and cheap!) 18s XT120 or similar.
Because the waveguides are verry cheap (20E) i will buy the ME20 and if its not compatible with the midrange i will try the XT120.

I made some changes to the enclosure, the internal volume now is 100 liters and i changed the ports. The new ports are 5x30 cm and there are two of them.
I am not sure of what tunning i should chose for 15NDL88.

The midrange has it's own enclosure at about 6.8 liters closed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3way.jpg (91.0 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg port.jpg (81.5 KB, 257 views)

15 Inch 3 wayHide this!Advertise here!