Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

15 Inch 3 way
15 Inch 3 way
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2018, 07:47 AM   #11
Mihai Cimpoeru is offline Mihai Cimpoeru  Romania
diyAudio Member

Thank you for all of your replies

globalplayer the Faital 6FE200 looks good but the spl is only 95 db. I need a midrange to be as loud ( or louder ) as the midbas, that has 99 db.

Koifarm i don't have enough amplifiers to use active crossover, also i would like the speakers to be used on any amplifier.
The class D one and the DCX sometimes i rent it to events so i have to use the speakers with a Harman Kardon AVR132 that has 40w per channel ( enough to get to 114 db at full power on these speakers)

lsiberian Why 3 way? Because in a 2 way there is something missing, i have made 2 way speakers and listen to many brand name, and there is no comparison to a good 3 way. In a 2 way i need a driver to go as low as at least to 1 khz to have a good polar response, and i never heard a 15 inch driver to sound good so high. Its hard to make a 15 inch to have bass and also sound great with mids.

DougL Can you recomend a 6 inch driver that has 98 db for my project? The datasheet of the DE250 says that the recomended crossover is at 1.6 khz with 12db/oct. I think that at that frequency even the 8PE21 has good dispersion.

LineSource I have a DBX measurment mic but i cannot measure the driver only after i buy them, and buid the enclosure. An F3 of 55 hz is ok ( i have 2 subs with 18NW100 for 60hz and lower)
Old 8th February 2018, 08:19 AM   #12
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihai Cimpoeru View Post
The same for 8PE21, i didn't find any reviews about this driver and o chose it for it's hi spl and liniar response.
This driver is a little more suited to horn loading. Other than that it works well with your tweeter and is a good driver.
Old 8th February 2018, 08:22 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Its hard to make a 15 inch to have bass and also sound great with mids.
In this case you choose the 15" for the highs, not the bass. Your room should make sure you can't leave this woofer on its own to do bass duty.
Quote:
The datasheet of the DE250 says that the recomended crossover is at 1.6 khz with 12db/oct.
It will go much lower than this, if you have the waveguide to support it.
Old 8th February 2018, 08:25 AM   #14
arcgotic is offline arcgotic  Romania
diyAudio Member

You can cross DE250 way lower than 2k. I cross at 1500Hz in a RCF H100 horn, BW 3 order, it does not need any EQ.
Old 8th February 2018, 09:50 AM   #15
Mihai Cimpoeru is offline Mihai Cimpoeru  Romania
diyAudio Member

AllenB i chose 15NDL88 for its high spl and liniar response, also a friend of mine used this driver he said it's very good. For bass i have two 18 inch subs so a f3 of 55-60hz is ok.

The waveguide datashet says it can be used down to 1.5 khz.
Old 8th February 2018, 10:03 AM   #16
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
diyAudio Member

Is there some reason you can not use TWO faital 6FE200 per speaker?
It's a bit difficult to find 10" and 12" with high sensitivity also, the 6.5" can be placed close together and wired in parallel for higher sensitivity. There is also a 16ohm variant of it, in case you need/want impedance matching drivers.
Old 8th February 2018, 10:17 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The waveguide datashet says it can be used down to 1.5 khz.
This is a small waveguide.

Have you decided to cross to the 15" where its directivity narrows? This will set a crossover point lower than 1k5. I like to cross 700-800Hz.
Old 8th February 2018, 10:21 AM   #18
globalplayer is offline globalplayer  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaffiMann View Post
... use TWO faital 6FE200 per speaker ...
Very good idea.
Old 8th February 2018, 10:44 AM   #19
Scott L is offline Scott L  United States
diyAudio Member

15 Inch 3 way
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaffiMann View Post
Is there some reason you can not use TWO faital 6FE200 per speaker?
It's a bit difficult to find 10" and 12" with high sensitivity also, the 6.5" can be placed close together and wired in parallel for higher sensitivity. There is also a 16ohm variant of it, in case you need/want impedance matching drivers.
Sounds like a great plan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6fe200-2.jpg (266.3 KB, 399 views)
Old 8th February 2018, 11:56 AM   #20
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
diyAudio Member

Ahem... Great minds and all that... :-)
What are you matching them with down low?

15 Inch 3 wayHide this!Advertise here!