Small, Cheap 2-Way with BR-1 Box

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Hi again. My head banging days are over actually although I still do rock from time to time. If I wanted to sell any system I would use more conventional crossovers and of a higher order just to protect the drivers. In my over 45 years of playing around, I have done 4-way towers that were 6 feet tall and easily took 500 Watt peaks. I have done "mini-monitors" and just about everything in between. I did an isobaric (push-pull) sub woofer pair tuned to 12 Hz; perfectly flat in room from below 16 Hz; great for the largest pipe organs. Right now; my choice is full-range or near full-range or at least, very wide band mids. I mostly listen to Baroque era chamber music and acoustic jazz. I do full symphonies and classic rock every now and then. Mahler can sometimes really push things out of control too just like metal! I DO look at the impedance curves to help me have a starting point for X/O calculations. If one were to look at my 0.11 mH inductor vs. the impedance curve you would say well, that can't possible work or do any good! That is my point; when fine tuning by ear and with a known good recording; I get my best results by trial and error since I am not doing any impedance compensation and I am running virtually full-range or with just 1st order. For example, I had one mid-bass before I fine-tuned the high frequency by using a parallel resistor on the inductor. I ended up using 82 Ohms. 68 Ohms was too low; 100 Ohms was too high. If you think about the math only, you would probably say that can't possible work or make a difference! Again, fine-tuning by ear works for me so I'm sticking with my methods.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Oh, SO close now! I discovered I had 1 orphan 0.125 mH custom coil in 16 AWG. Long story short; I now have the 3.3 uF cap. on the tweeter by-passed by only 0.15 uF (still using the series 2.2 Ohm resistor). I am using the 0.125 mH inductor "by-passed" with about 35 Ohms resistance. This seems to get everything just about as good as I'm ever going to get it with the simplest of components. I have ordered two (new) 14 AWG 0.125 mH custom coils. Cymbals and brushes have a great balance; not overly bright but very believable. The snap, rattle and "buzz" of the up-right acoustic bass strings are also very believable here. Too much of these sounds makes it artificial and annoying. However; if these types of sounds are too soft or barely discernible, then I also find it annoying. These are the harmonics, overtones, formants, etc. that make a recording come to life and the whole reason I choose to tune by ear with music.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.