Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Console?
Console?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd February 2018, 04:56 PM   #1
8ntractor is offline 8ntractor  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Console?

My Small Thors will not fit well in the main living area as we have a small living room with large windows. My wife loves stereo but hates wires. So I am thinking about building a Baltic Birch console. Like the old fashion ones. My question is how do they sound? is there any imaging/ soundstage? I am not sure if full range drivers maybe a better fit. I have room under a bow window about 28" high and a corner about 4' on a side as the only two locations that may work. right now I have a pair of superzeros a foot apart and a class d sure amp to hear the tv. imaging leaves a lot to be desired. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ben
Old 3rd February 2018, 05:46 PM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

I can remember a Silvertone console my folks had back in the late 60s, the overall length of which was just under 6ft - wide enough to give some measure of stereo separation , and the speaker compartment sections were large enough to accommodate 10" woofers, so the bass and overall volume was sufficient for our needs.

The largest issue I could foresee is that they are generally low enough in height that the drivers will be placed well below what many of us consider optimal these days. but that could likely be mitigated somewhat by tilting the boxes upward between 10-15degress behind an acoustically transparent fabric grille, and lining the inside and top panels of the larger speaker enclosure section with thick absorbent material to cut down on very early reflections
Old 3rd February 2018, 08:58 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you Chrisb. I am sure there is a reason they are a niche market product now. My wife is looking at 300.00 lofi all in ones. about 4 ft wide is the only option. Thank you
Old 3rd February 2018, 10:25 PM   #4
phivates is offline phivates  United States
diyAudio Member

Do you mean 4' is all the width you have to work with? I have a 42" Fisher console from the sixties that has 10" LF drivers in it, not original, and modded minimus 7s on the wall just above our flat screen, though those will be replaced with Pluvia 7s sometime soon. Not a sit and listen to music arrangement, but it could be. I elected not to mount the mid/hi in the console, mostly because the baffles angle out to each side at about 15 degrees plus the low position vertically. I think it was Snell who had a model with the tweeter right down at the floor, with a little ramp which was meant to cure the early floor reflection challenge of that setup. Never tried it, but they weren't known for stupidity.
Old 3rd February 2018, 10:58 PM   #5
boswald is offline boswald  United States
diyAudio Member

Console?
Don't give up too easily. Give us a drawing of the room.
We'll figure out a couple choices at least, between us all.
Old 4th February 2018, 04:07 AM   #6
Patrick Bateman is offline Patrick Bateman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ntractor View Post
My Small Thors will not fit well in the main living area as we have a small living room with large windows. My wife loves stereo but hates wires. So I am thinking about building a Baltic Birch console. Like the old fashion ones. My question is how do they sound? is there any imaging/ soundstage? I am not sure if full range drivers maybe a better fit. I have room under a bow window about 28" high and a corner about 4' on a side as the only two locations that may work. right now I have a pair of superzeros a foot apart and a class d sure amp to hear the tv. imaging leaves a lot to be desired. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ben
Your wife loves stereo but hates wires. Therefore, build a powered speaker and power it off batteries. You could stream to it using Bluetooth or WiFI.

I have a bunch of these and I love them. You can power them off of a pair of 12V batteries, or a bank of 20 AA batteries.

Amazon.com: Sabaj A3 80Wx2 Hifi Audio USB DSP Digital Power Amp,Class D Amplifier Bluetooth 4.2 Optical Input Black: Home Audio & Theater
Old 4th February 2018, 08:26 AM   #7
RobWells is offline RobWells  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Something interesting could be based on the JBL Paragon .
Old 4th February 2018, 12:58 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

thank you all very much. Some very good ideas. That paragon is quite amazing. and the wireless battery power speakers are a great idea.

We found a philips console that is 47" long that may work it is a 3 hour drive to get but may be worth it. Maybe mount the woofers in the cabinet and let the tweeters and mids sit proud on top to Phivates point with the wires coming out of the bottom into the console.

I will put together a drawing of the room

I spent some time listening to the Thors last night and I cannot thank this community enough for all the help on the small thor project. I still expect the artist to be in the room when I open my eyes. I would have a hard time taking them apart to use the drivers but I could if i could even get close to that sound in the main area of the house.

thanks again.

Ben
Old 4th February 2018, 01:37 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Just a correction it is a philco not a phillips
Old 5th February 2018, 05:49 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Here is a bad drawing of the living room the small wall in front of the stairs is about 40" tall. The couch and chair must remain where they are. The view from the bay window in that direction is fabulous and the other direction is not as pleasing.
does anyone know about the ford philco or GE electronics of the late 1960's. The console would solve most of the problems the size and style will work in the tv corner. 4 ft of separation between the speakers may even get some imaging.

I am not against building a new one either. solid baltic birch construction with full range speakers class d amp maybe the better alternative.

Or I could modify an existing console and hook up all the stuff I should have sold long ago but could not bring myself to sell. I have a pretty good tuner from the 70s a dual 510 turntable an old maranz 1060 and a couple of AR 10s and have a late midcentury midfi miracle console.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front room layout.jpg (70.9 KB, 356 views)

Console?Hide this!Advertise here!