Console?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thank you

I am a little deep on the rebate. so there is not much material there I will use a sharp knife to add chamfer inbetween the screws. so a couple thousands pressure should be ok. I will try to find some felt for the sides and use the batting everywhere else. is there some relationship more stuffing = more bass. thanks again

Thank you Dave,
Chris sent me a PM that you may have some of the ultra touch I just do not want to wait that long I have a big order for display boxes that will consume my time and clamps and wanted to get the speakers done ahead of starting that order. The ultra touch is discontinued on Rona's website and Digby was a bust as the carpet store has been shuttered and the fabric store is not answering the phone. My wife actually found the acoustic insulation after listening to me whine about not being able to find the ultratouch. Thank you again

And Thank you Chris I finally found a use for the rotozip in angling the ply behind the drivers

thanks again

Ben

Hi I have been obsessing and reading about the material used to line br speakers. I guess the purpose of lining the speakers is to absorb sound to reduce standing waves and absorb sound to reduce the sound coming thru the side panel. The sonopan is a high density panel . Will the sonopan reduce the volume of the speaker? if so should I make the thickness more like 3/8 over 3/4". does diffraction matter inside the speaker should I change up the thickness to diffuse the sound wave? It is a strange topic as everything from bubble wrap to ceramic tile is recommended. I know from other post that you prefer a layer of polyfill on the holey brace and I can see the advantage of the rigid panel on the baffle as it will add some stiffness. Are there areas where the rigid panel would be the wrong material to use? I know that is a lot of questions and in hind site I should have taken Chris's advice. But i bought the Sonopan so would like to use it. Thanks again Ben

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The damping on the walls really only prevents reflection of higher frequencies. The centre of the cabinet is the place where damping is most effective at degrading standing waves. If we talk side-to-side the holey brace breaks those (potential) standing waves into 3 ranges (ranges because of the taper), The polyfill on the holey brace only has an effect on the lowest one.

The damping material would need to be very dense to have to worry about it eating up effective box volume.

The damping has almost no effect on the sound transmission thru the walls.

dave

thank you both that eases my mind. Dont worry about changing the volume, keep the vent clear. poly on the long side of the holey brace. focus on the center of the cabinet. thank you again. I am far less worried now. I really want these to sound good. My wife has been participating in this build far more than with the thors. So I would like that participation to pay off. From going thru all of the build plans in the plan set looking at the site to see pics of the speakers and picking the mar ken traps to finding the sonopan. It has been fun having her involved so I would like to get a good result. thank you again

Ben

speakers and semi console done

Hello

I have them done, pretty happy with them overall. The finish could be better. I have not done any real listening and have not played loud yet but the sound is good so far. I did have a little distortion in one speaker and had to loosen one of the screws to stop the distortion so it must be hitting the holey brace too hard. I plan to make a gasket out of poster board - that driver is a little deep anyway. Pretty much met the design goals not a true console but looks good and very few wires show. The speakers can be pulled out for more serious listening. Still need speaker stands may put the speaker stands on casters with a 5 degree tilt. thanks for all the help.

Attachments

• DSCN2689.JPG
    DSCN2689.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCN2690.JPG
    DSCN2690.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 79
She thinks and I quote "the Speakers are stunning and they sound fantastic". She has made many positive comments about them and has been very supportive of the whole process. We listened at quiet levels last night and thought they sounded really good. She really like the way the whole set up looks. The wires are hidden for the most part. The only thing we would do differently is I did not stain the unit but we did stain the speakers and it would have been better if we stained the whole thing the pecan stain goes well with the wood floors. thanks again for all of the help. How long before I can safely turn them up?

Spent some time listening today they sound very very good. I built the roller stands with the 5 degree tilt and fixed the deep speaker. Sitting on the couch I realized the left speaker has been a jinx. I just realized that the baffle is upside down on that speaker. you would have thought I would have noticed that sooner. that is the same speaker I launched the baffle cutting the 45 on the RAS and the same speaker I sanded thru the veneer on the baffle and the same speaker I was deep on the first baffle and redid and the same speaker that the speaker was distorted because the cutout was too deep. the other speaker came out great. and I am not noticing any difference in sound. Someday may replace the cabinet but not any time soon.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.