Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Console?
Console?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2018, 11:13 PM   #41
phivates is offline phivates  United States
diyAudio Member

Tweeter below mid is definitely indicated in your low-rider scheme
Old 14th February 2018, 01:45 AM   #42
8ntractor is offline 8ntractor  Canada
diyAudio Member

thank you

It sounds like an offset tweeter would make sense i think you could get the three speakers closer that way. I would not mind at all an mt design in a bookshelf speaker. but I cannot find one using these drivers and I do not know if I feel comfortable designing my own. attached is an idea of what I am thinking with the front doors removed.
Old 14th February 2018, 08:35 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

So i was listening to the ba speakers in the bow window and realized that if I keep the speakers next to the wall or in the window the bass will be big and bad emphasis on the bad. So what would happen if I built the Odins skipped a mid left the tweeter below the woofer and sealed it using the same crossover. I know now that the bass is going to be an issue. the thing is I can keep my listening position at about a third of the room

thanks

be
Old 15th February 2018, 04:21 AM   #44
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ntractor View Post
right now I have a pair of superzeros a foot apart and a class d sure amp to hear the tv. imaging leaves a lot to be desired.
Re width, you answered your own question . Historically, narrow consoles placed speakers either angled outward or side firing with 'wing' reflectors to 'fan' their output over the desired arc. Bass was usually a woofer [what DVC drivers were originally designed for AFAIK] or two mounted on the rear to use the wall for preloading and dispersion.

GM
Old 15th February 2018, 11:28 AM   #45
diyAudio Member

Thanks GM I woke up last night thinking about the superzeros. Huge bass is not important neither is playing super loud. my wife wants to be able to put an album on or turn the radio on or play a cd. This all started because she brought me an ad for a walmart crosley all in one that she wanted to buy and I saw the opportunity for diy. I spent a little time on Daves website and it looks like there may be options for a narrow full range. or maybe the super zeros close to the wall will work. I even spent some time looking for drivers for L. Olsons ME2 which started me down the diy path years ago. I was originally hoping for a all in one type console using the stuff I already have or some console speaker placement wisdom like you are pointing out angled firing or wing reflectors. We even very seriously considered buying a console but it was a 6 hour drive round trip. I still think the best looking option would be a true console but keep coming back to speakers that can be raised to ear level to get a better stereo image. Still need to give this more thought it will be a one shot deal. thanks again

Ben
Old 15th February 2018, 03:01 PM   #46
phivates is offline phivates  United States
diyAudio Member

If your A40s are making excessive bass then we have an idea of the spl you are looking for. Is your loudness button functional? Those can stick on in old gear.
Old 15th February 2018, 07:14 PM   #47
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Yeah, the A40 was never the bass monster of the early Boston line - that title would have gone to the A400.

Ben - have the surrounds been replaced recently on the A40's woofers? That model is certainly of a vintage that the foams could be seriously deteriorate enough to effect their performance. They don't have to rot right through to sound like crap.

Would a shallow wall mount enclosure possibly pass the WAF test? As the use of a console suggests to me a fixed position and less than critical listening, a wall mount could certainly allow greater flexibility of placement, as well eliminate Baffle Step Loss. There have been several good designs posted here using 4-5" full range drivers that might be worth looking at.

Last edited by chrisb; 15th February 2018 at 07:20 PM.
Old 15th February 2018, 07:32 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Hi Phivates, The Marantz is only playing on one channel while I await a new multimeter. I was running from the tv to the amp section of the Marantz so the loudness should not have been a factor. in fact to hear the dialog better we have the bass turned down quite a bit. I think another reason Console are no longer made is remotes and cd players. The front of the unit has to show for the remote to work and the cd load from the front. So we want to keep the unit only about 14" deep I am thinking about putting the marantz and tuner in from the top and build in the dual turntable. Maybe putting in one shelf below the dual for a cd player. Aux 2 can be used for pc music. I am thinking about a large radius in baltic birch to get some feature and that same look could be copied to the speakers. thank you

ben
Old 15th February 2018, 07:35 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

thank you ChrisB a wall mount speaker may work we wanted to keep everything under the bow window but there is room under the tv and next to the couch on that wall it may work the wiring would have to be inwall not impossible . i did replace the surrounds about 6 years ago. thank you

Ben
Old 15th February 2018, 08:31 PM   #50
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Console?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
... a shallow wall mount enclosure possibly pass the WAF test?
Coincidently Scott & i have just finished working up a wall-mount/wall adjacent ML-TL for the Alpair 10p/10.3 (original intent was they would sit on the floor with a small base). We are talking about doing a smaller one for the A7.3 and a larger one for the A12.2p. Maybe a giant one for the A12pw.

http://wodendesign.com/planset/Popla...LTL-teaser.pdf

If they prove popular, maybe more.

As has been done with similar designs, a nice print can convert these into a (thick) piece of artwork.

dave

Console?Hide this!Advertise here!