Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Console?
Console?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2018, 05:36 PM   #21
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Ben - keep us updated, this could be one of those "much more fun that I thought" projects .
Old 6th February 2018, 07:12 PM   #22
8ntractor is offline 8ntractor  Canada
diyAudio Member

thanks Chris I keep going back and forth on the console I am not thinking about making a baltic birch plywood cabinet to hold the marantz. tuner. turntable and maybe even a cd player. here is a pic of the concept it can only be about 18 inches high to fit in front of the bow window. I have made several layered birch turntable plinths and we like the look of the plywood edge so I am thinking about making the whole thing using an exposed edge like a layered plinth. I would seam it to save money but I think it may look pretty cool. the electronics could be updated and the speakers would be outside of the cabinet. I may end up getting the chainsaw out and turn the small thors in shorter odins.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf stereo cabinet.pdf (110.7 KB, 32 views)
Old 6th February 2018, 08:37 PM   #23
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

I'd hold off on hacking up a perfectly good pair of speakers - just build something new in the console. Depending on your proximity to suppliers to commercial furniture / cabinet trades, you could probably fine some very high quality pre-veneered plywood. I made a unit for my son last year from Walnut Pro-core that turned out quite nicely, but was edge-banded with matching tape.

Shelf for turntable pulls out - centre channel speaker is A7.3, and the L&R are CHR70s

OK moderator / photo gurus - someone rotate this one for me? I can build things, but am hopeless at this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brian's-TV-cabinet.jpg (90.9 KB, 177 views)
Old 6th February 2018, 10:15 PM   #24
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

thanks, Dave
Old 7th February 2018, 12:48 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

That is a beautiful cabinet Chris. Looks great. I dont know that I can build one to that level. but I think I maybe able to make something acceptable. I think after listening to the old components for a second evening making a cabinet is the right way to go. I set the speakers right in the bow window and added the turntable and I have to say the maybe because of the placement of the chair in the room or the way the bow window is changing the sound the soundstage was really quite good.

anatech asked me how much room was available for a volume control so I thought I would take a look and found a tab that was broken off soldered it and the volume control works I have a little noise in the left channel. but all in all it sounds pretty good.

thanks you all

Ben
Old 7th February 2018, 01:04 PM   #26
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

Console?
We have "furniture and large appliance" collection day in April. Just put it out on the treelawn --

Or visit "Habitat Re-Store".

Me, I repurposed a console from Gumps
http://www.gumps.com/furnishings/liv...t-best-viewall
Old 7th February 2018, 06:47 PM   #27
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Ben - if the VC is only a bit noisy on one channel, a spray of contact cleaner might clear that up. Again, I'd check with anatech for specific product suggests - the brand I remember using was MG .
Old 11th February 2018, 12:14 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

I just wanted to publicly thank anatech Chris he was so helpful and took time to help me fix the issues with the volume control thank you Chris
Old 11th February 2018, 12:17 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

I know I am on the wrong forum but would a pair of full range speakers work in a console? I may be able to get my hands on a pair of used mark audio 12 but then I would like to keep everything in a diy console so they would be 24" at most off the floor.

thanks

Ben
Old 11th February 2018, 04:11 PM   #30
boswald is offline boswald  United States
diyAudio Member

Console?
It is not forbidden to discuss the possible use of a fullrange speaker. When you want to discuss differences between them, you'll find more response 'over there'.
The main problem with a fullrange in a console is that you will want it to be big for bass(and you have the volume for bass in a console). And that means limited dispersion at higher frequencies.
And that may require very low seating.
But if you add a tweeter to a large fullrange you will have better dispersion.(A lot like my old Magnavox with its 12"ers and tweeters.)
So you are not reinventing the wheel, you are making a better one, with modern parts and the ability to make a better handoff- they used to cross higher than we do now as the crossover was cheaper that way.

Console?Hide this!Advertise here!