Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Console?
Console?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2018, 08:18 PM   #11
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Console?
This in intriguing proposition. Lots of possibilities.

If you can reuse an existing console it might be easier than a scratch build, it will have a retro feel, but it will also have built-in constraints. A fresh one could be modern looking (or not) and offers maximum versatility. And do keep on mind that vintage console range from attractive & interesting, thru a spectrim to dogs.

Details will depend on which way you go.

My 1st thot was some medium size FR (like Alpair 10x or i have done a speaker for a console using FF165wk). 2nd was a WAW with downward firing woofers. Baffles can be canted backwards a bit (5-8 i’d guess) to compensate for low height.

If you get a vintage one, plan on replacing everything. If it comes with a tube amp. that might be worth salvaging for parts and build a modern rendition.

So start with what you have. But then you can start swapping things.

dave
Old 5th February 2018, 08:44 PM   #12
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Not a necessarily hurtful sounding list of gear, that, but it might be a bit of a tight fit to get all that - particularly the AR10s in a console the size of the Philco. By the late 60's, I wouldn't be surprised to find the electronics solid "state" - but definitely not " of the art." The only console I ever had direct experience with was SS, and not any better that the amp stage of an early Noresco Consolette - mine was not unlike :

Click the image to open in full size.

If the cabinet is in good enough shape and within budget, I'd definitely be inclined to snap it up, and spend the bulk of your time selecting . fitting the new gear. The Dual and Marantz would definitely be nice pieces for this application, but you might want to look for something smaller for the speakers - if for no other reason than to tilt them upwards a bit to improve imaging. AR6 or 7, or Boston A60s would be in keeping with the vibe - although old enough that surrounds might need replacing.

Then of course there are any number of modern FR drivers or small 2-way kit designs from which to choose.
Old 5th February 2018, 08:50 PM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Console?
Click the image to open in full size.

I took the money i’d saved up from working at the swimming pool all summer, took a trip to Calgary (with the parents) and bought one of those and set of Patterson industry speakers with an “higher” range RSC whizzer cone 8”.

dave
Old 5th February 2018, 10:20 PM   #14
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

I had at least two different models - one I think might even have had a magnetic cartridge? Mine came with some of the smaller Noresco speakers using Isophon drivers of which you must have recycled close to a metric tonne over the years.
Old 5th February 2018, 11:15 PM   #15
8ntractor is offline 8ntractor  Canada
diyAudio Member

thank you for the responses I do have a set of boston a40s I hooked up the marantz and set it up in the front room with the a40s and using the computer as a source. not terrible. the marantz needs a volume control but I did replace the leaking caps about 5 years ago. I tried to take the volume control out of a different marantz but it was not much better. I still think the superzeros are a better sounding speaker. but the a40s at least have some bass. My wife likes the small philco cabinet and for $75 i could not build it, baltic birch is $120 a sheet tax in. The philco is not ugly and looks well kept and buying from the original owners. the only issue is it is a 6+ hour round trip to pick up the philco. I guess i could buy it try it and replace the electronics /speakers as needed. The marantz is my back up amp as whenever the Primare amp with its great sound but poor solder acts up i have the amp section of the Marantz to use until I find and resolder the cracks in the Primare. Still on the fence but really leaning toward buying the console trying it if worst comes to worst pull the guts and replacing with the old stuff I have. thanks again for the comments. It is intriguing to think about the new console diy to compete with symbol audio type but I dont think it will compare to the sound of the Small Thors. Eventually I will figure out which way to go here thank you all again.
Old 5th February 2018, 11:39 PM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Console?
The Noresco speakers that came with the package i was looking at had the 5” Philips FR (i didn’t know that till many decades later). The 8” wa smore bass capable. I think i paid $120 for the lot. My 1st hifi.

dave
Old 5th February 2018, 11:42 PM   #17
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Console?
Quote:
but I dont think it will compare to the sound of the Small Thors
You have to compromise somewhere. A Small Thor is, i would expect, near teh volume of the whole console.

dave
Old 6th February 2018, 04:07 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

thank you Dave. I think we are going to buy the console and I think I would like to fix the volume control on the marantz. do you know if a alps 250k log audio amp volume control pot would work in place of the variable resistor 250k the cheaper one would have the loudness tap and the pot is about 1/10 the price. the variable resistor does not have a loudness tap at least that I can find. I dont want to start a new thead if I can just get a quick answer

thanks

Ben
Old 6th February 2018, 04:17 PM   #19
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

I'd like to try to retain the loudness tap - maybe PM form member anatech for advice and/or recommended part source. In good working condition, I think you could do a lot worse than the 1060 and A40s for what they now owe you.

For any finish touch-up / reconditioning work on the cabinet itself, this stuff is great Restor-A-Finish | Howard Products

Last edited by chrisb; 6th February 2018 at 04:19 PM.
Old 6th February 2018, 05:13 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

thank you Chrisb I agree I would like to keep the marantz sounding as good as possible I sent anatech a pm. I think the marantz and the a40s will be good for the living room system and that way I can keep the basement setup for real listening sessions. I think we still may buy the console it will fit well in the room. thanks again for the restor a finish tip too.

thanks

ben

Console?Hide this!Advertise here!