Seas 27TBFC/G vs 27TDFC/G

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Seas 27TBFC/G harsh compared to 27TDFC/G

I'm building a 3-way and have a pair of Seas 27TDFC/G and 27TBFC/G to choose from.

I like to try each driver with its crossover alone, just to see if there is anything that sounds harsh or fatiguing.

The crossover hits a 4th order acoustic slope @ 2KHz. There's no impedance compensation and no other notch or other filters (2nd order plus conventional Lpad).

Knowing the 27TD and 27TB are very similar, I switched between them in the same cabinet.

The 27TDFC/G was pleasant to listen to.

The 27TBFC/G was not. I need to do some measurements to compare them but there was a harshness to the B tweeter. I couldn't listen to it for more than a couple of minutes.

Given the B is well regarded, arguably has lower odd order harmonic distortion, I was disappointed and surprised. Certain vocals or bright rock recordings were just far too in your face. Not so with the D tweeter.

I do know the breakup mode ~ 26Khz of the aluminimum diaphram is seen lower down, could this be the cause of the unpleasantness?

Last edited:
I do know the breakup mode ~ 26Khz of the aluminimum diaphram is seen lower down, could this be the cause of the unpleasantness?
Even if a harmonic lands on the 26KHz breakup node, it's still inaudible (unless the listener is a dog :)). The breakup of the TBFC should not contribute anything to the audible sound of the driver.

While both tweeters have respectably low distortion the TBFC has significantly higher non linear distortion below 2kHz and is still a little worse in the 3-5kHz region than the TDFC. If you are listening to the tweeter in isolation it is quite plausible that you could hear a difference from the content below the crossover point alone, even if it is playing greatly attenuated. This is because it is possible for our hearing to compensate for a non-flat frequency response over time. In the presence of a mid/woofer any low level distortion products (generated by the tweeter below the xo point) become inaudible because the mid/woofer is playing loudly and our hearing sensitivity goes back down in that region.

The TBFC is also some 1-2dB more sensitive than the TDFC, are you accounting for this? It's also worth investigating if the impedance of the drivers you have are the same. Even if they should be almost identical, it's not uncommon for resonant frequencies to vary with production batches, sometimes by 5% or more and that will change the transfer function of the crossover. Sensitivity also varies batch to batch.

Last edited:
You really have to measure and then draw the conclusion. Given that it is 2KHz crossover, 0,5dB higher level in 27TB could give that impression, let alone 1 or 2 dB. It is only 0,5dB but from 2KHz-20KHz span and that is a lot. That's why i use 2dB and sometimes even 1dB grid when measuring gated. It gives me unique insight into deviations that looks small and irrelevant on 5dB or, god forbid, 10dB grid.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies.I don't think the sensitivity difference matters. I adjusted volume levels on both and the B didn't get better. Whereas I could increase the D volume and it was fine. Sure, level matching is important in a finished system.

In terms of ears being more sensitive without a balanced spectrum being played, my concern is the forward vocals on the B:
a) drowned out the subtly of percussion and other high frequency content (I dont' think filling in lower frequency will offset this)
b) won't get any better when more energy is provided when other drivers are added... .unless they cancel out the "extra" the B is adding. but then that would introduce other issues.

Re distortion, I'll try and take my own measurements. I'm not sure I can trust them as my previous distortion measurements weren't that good, but my measurement setup is better now. I do notice looking at Zaph's measurements the B has higher 3rd order HD below 2KHz and maybe that's what I'm sensitive to?

Good to note Zuhl the B wasn't that good on cymbals. I personally think it will be great (even though it drops away +16Khz - I can't hear that high these days)... Reason being, my point a) above - I think the forwardness is masking the upper end brilliance.

Anyway - onto measurements today hopefully, then I'll post them up.

The reason I'm testing all this in isolation is before I stump up for my big crossover parts order. I'm recycling some parts which I can make the tweeter section, so thought I'd audition it first.

I had a pair of the alu domes... for years I tried to like them, but couldn't.

Maybe some of us are more sensitive to the ultrasonic ringing than others...:confused:

I'm not sure its the ultrasonic ringing. I don't think my upstream is capable of exciting the 26KHz breakup mode (therefore lower frequency even and odd order harmonics).

I bought them on the basis "they are great" but they are not good for the 70's and 80's music I like. I think a lot of recording engineers were taking advantage of new more "resolute" technologies and really jamming certain frequencies to the fore. This made for very in your face / bright recordings.

Sadly - I like this era of music and I don't think the 27tbfcg is suited to it. I didn't get time to measure today.... but I think a lot of speaker designers don't position a certain speaker as to the genre of music listened to. Maybe this is important. Measurement may... or may not tell (making it more so).

Maybe the B is more revealing of what you put in and the D is more like a filter?

//

That could well be true and also reflect some of the overly forward / bright mixes of artists I like.

Take for example Huey Lewis and The News - greatest hits album. Most of this is ear shrilling on the 27tbfcg but the 27tddfc tames it just enough to be listenable. I like Huey and couldn't listen on the 27tbfcg. More accurate driver?.... yes. More suitable?.... no.

"Sounding forward and in your face" is usually a matter of speaker voicing. I don't think it's distortion unless the distortion is really bad. I have not used this specific tweeter but I doubt Seas would put out a bad tweeter.

Hmmmmm. voicing. I have a real problem with starting with a crossover on a driver where I can't stand the sound. Voicing to me is in context of other drivers in a speaker system. Since this is a single driver and it failed on a bright recording and others I tried (Spyro Gyra - morning dance).... I don't think voicing it will help.

It was in my face at any volume... whereas the D could be turned up and I could still hear the spectrum.

I've never read about speaker designers listening to each driver and crossover individually for acceptance. Maybe I'm making a mistake. Or maybe I'm just very or over cautious and trying to make the right decisions to make the best of my driver choices.

I didn't get a chance to measure today... maybe on tuesday (national holiday) and I will post up what I find. I'm curious to find why these 2 tweeters are so different to my ears. PS: I asked my partner the same question and she came to the same conclusion. So either our ears are both out of whack, or the B sucks, in my cabinet, crossed at 2KHz 4th order acoustic... with the bright music I like ;-)

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
That could well be true and also reflect some of the overly forward / bright mixes of artists I like.

Take for example Huey Lewis and The News - greatest hits album. Most of this is ear shrilling on the 27tbfcg but the 27tddfc tames it just enough to be listenable. I like Huey and couldn't listen on the 27tbfcg. More accurate driver?.... yes. More suitable?.... no.

I.e. could also be your amplification and/or DA - not necessarily the recording. I found that album on Tidal - and yes, it's a bit harsh upwards I would say so your analysis si probably alright.

//

Last edited:
I.e. could also be your amplification and/or DA - not necessarily the recording. I found that album on Tidal - and yes, it's a bit harsh upwards I would say so your analysis si probably alright.

//

I will switch out amplifiers to see if it helps. There is no impedance compensation on the tweeter circuit, so maybe the amplifier I am using is having trouble and also may not like the low impedance load. Doesn't explain though with both tweeters with an almost identical impedance curve, one is definitely more listenable than the other. I will also try the other tweeter in the pair just in case one as gone bad (they are 12 years old BTW).

Had the same experience several years ago when I tested it in my system. Compared it to the rs28a. While the Dayton driver had a very listenable smooth sound the TB was just ”annoying”.

My testing was completely unscientific but playing around with the levels didn’t make a difference, rs28a still came out on top.

I really like Seas drivers in general but I don’t get this particular one...

Hmmmmm. voicing. I have a real problem with starting with a crossover on a driver where I can't stand the sound. Voicing to me is in context of other drivers in a speaker system. Since this is a single driver and it failed on a bright recording and others I tried (Spyro Gyra - morning dance).... I don't think voicing it will help.

It was in my face at any volume... whereas the D could be turned up and I could still hear the spectrum.

I've never read about speaker designers listening to each driver and crossover individually for acceptance. Maybe I'm making a mistake. Or maybe I'm just very or over cautious and trying to make the right decisions to make the best of my driver choices.

Usually treble does not cause "in your face". It's what the mid range is doing. It's the integration between the woofer and tweeter so you have to ask what's the woofer is doing.

Usually treble does not cause "in your face". It's what the mid range is doing. It's the integration between the woofer and tweeter so you have to ask what's the woofer is doing.

Hi Andy,

No woofer was playing. This was simply swapping 2 tweeters over on the same tweeter crossover. No other driver or crossover components involved.

I agree there's something going on in the midrange passband. When a speaker / driver is "misbehaving" I find my ears focus on the frequency band in question and it drowns out the rest. I couldn't hear cymbals and other higher frequency content as clearly on the B as the D (which I should be able to), telling me the B was shouty lower down. The xover targets a 4th order acoustic slope at 2KHz. I do realise the B is 1-2dB more sensitive than the D tweeter. Allowing for this did not change the midrange forwardness / harshness of the B compared to the D. I unfortunately couldn't measure in the weekend due to weather conditions here. I really want to do some distortion measurements between the two tweeters. I also have not tried the other B tweeter in the pair. It could be one is defective. I will measure all drivers and mark the ones I auditioned.

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I'm building a 3-way and have a pair of Seas 27TDFC/G and 27TBFC/G to choose from.

I like to try each driver with its crossover alone, just to see if there is anything that sounds harsh or fatiguing.

The crossover hits a 4th order acoustic slope @ 2KHz. There's no impedance compensation and no other notch or other filters (2nd order plus conventional Lpad).

Knowing the 27TD and 27TB are very similar, I switched between them in the same cabinet.

The 27TDFC/G was pleasant to listen to.

The 27TBFC/G was not. I need to do some measurements to compare them but there was a harshness to the B tweeter. I couldn't listen to it for more than a couple of minutes.

Given the B is well regarded, arguably has lower odd order harmonic distortion, I was disappointed and surprised. Certain vocals or bright rock recordings were just far too in your face. Not so with the D tweeter.

You are not alone in your assessment. The harshness you heard in the TBFC is a common complaint if you Google it. It doesn't have anything to do with the crossover point. Too many people have mentioned their dislike of it to be a crossover issue. Including people with good design skills over at the PE forum and HTguide IIRC. Some people are sensitive to it and some aren't.

You are not alone in your assessment. The harshness you heard in the TBFC is a common complaint if you Google it. It doesn't have anything to do with the crossover point. Too many people have mentioned their dislike of it to be a crossover issue. Including people with good design skills over at the PE forum and HTguide IIRC. Some people are sensitive to it and some aren't.

Thanks - interesting. When I bought these (admittedly in 2007!!! yikes) I couldn't find such bad reviews via google.

I find a lot of designers don't post their test listening tracks. I do realise a designer isn't responsible for peoples' listening:
a) tastes. ie. overmixed / bright / edgy 80s music
b) environments

... but of the designs I've seen, many don't post their listening or test music for speakers.

Those that do might just blame bright recordings and that the speaker is just being too revealing. Whatever the case, it's no good to me if I can't enjoy the music I like :).

Either way - it has been a great learning experience and allowed me to reduce risk of the final speaker sounding like poop.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.