New horn in the works

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
While I was waiting for my amp PCBs to arrive from BrianGT(damned Canadian customs!) I got anxious to build something. Being curious about the Fostex FE206E's performance in a horn I decided to build a pair. They are a modified version of Tony's Solo206. The picture is of the horn in test fit stage, it's just taped together. I am using MDF as much as I dislike doing so, but I have a bunch of sheets taking up precious space in my work shop. This is just a test horn and I will build a second pair out of Baltic Birch and OSB if I am happy with the performance of this one. The picture is of the horn in test fit stage, it's just taped together. I took the pic from a ladder, the box is on my work bench, I fell off trying to lean over to get a shot from directly above...well I got the shot then fell...after cussing a bit I went to put the ladder away and shut it on my finger tips, I now hate ladders ( I know it was really my fault, I just have a hard time blaming myself ;) ).

Attachments

• resize of horny2.jpg
    resize of horny2.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 862
Actually there was very little waste, I always make a cut plan, measure everything ten times, especially angles, and I always work in a relaxed state. So far, I don't have much time invested either, I have been working with wood since I was a child so things go quickly. Revising the plans and planning took most time thus far. I have about ten hours invested and estimate that, with finishing, there are ten more left, including frequent coffee and (ugh) cigarette breaks.

I finished my test enclosures last weekend. I wanted to do some listening before posting my impressions (I am my own worst critic, very little proud daddy syndrome). I changed a few things between the first pic posted and the finished version, I rounded all interior panels and used Baltic Birch ply for the horn sections. I painted the centre section flat black to hide the horn a little, also to hide all the imperfections in the wood, I did little sanding and did not give the joinery my 100%, still most people have said they look to be factory standard, I was flattered.

Well...I like the horn sound. They are very different from my ML TLs I was previously using with these drivers. I think the biggest difference comes from the gain in effeciency caused by the elimination of the correction circuit. These sound more life-like, more suited to my tastes. They do not go as low but for the first time kick and kettle drums sound just like they do in *real* life. The bass is slightly more detailed. I am also hearing more seperation between instruments and more detail in all music...again probably resulting from the lack of correction circuitry. Everything is not perfect however, I think I do need a little correction to balance out the overabundance of midrange. I need to listen more still, These are just my first impressions.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.