Need help interpreting measurements

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Lojzek,
I have attached zip file of Xsim dxo file as you requested. Hopefully, you are able to unzip file with no difficulty. I had to really compress file to not exceed servers maximum file size. Thanks so very much for taking a look to see if the design can be simplified.:D

Best Regards,
Rich

Attachments

• Omega1-standount.zip
    541.1 KB · Views: 30
Hi Rich,

Well, it more or less works but I think I'm with Lojzek - it could probably be simpler.

I guess 1st, considering your small room and starting with the full 6dB of bsc, I would make sure the level above about 1000Hz isn't sitting below the level below 1000Hz. Or in other words, I'm afraid that the balance in room might be just a tad heavy on the bass.

Also I'm trying to understand why you've decided to switch from 3rd order electrical with an added resistor and a tanking capacitor on the woofer to 1st order with 2 notch filters? That's a mite unconventional. But as I said, it does work.

But I still think that unless phase alignment just won't work, 2nd order electrical probably with a shunt resistor again to shape the knee and manipulate phase as well as the tanking capacitor aimed at about 3500Hz with a series resistor to modulate depth should do the trick. Less expensively too.

Hi jReave,
TBH, I have tried so many different combinations that maybe I have lost sight of just keeping things simple.:D If memory serves me correctly, I was having trouble with phase alignment with all 3rd order electrical combinations on the woofer but 3rd order electrical on tweeter works great. I'm going to attach another try at this with regards to simplifying things as you and Lojzek have pointed out. With this version I tried the resistor plus capacitor tank on L1 but found the notch filter method seemed to worked a little better. Also, I included system z with and without impedance compensation filter before tweeter. I tried it after the Xover and it does nothing for lowering the impedance hump. With regards to balance, I may have to aim for a flatter response after reading your comments about maybe the system being bass heavy with full bsc in a small room. But, that is something I can tweak before purchasing any components if you and Lojzek think I'm on the right track.:)

Thanks once again,
Rich

Attachments

• Omega-systemz2.jpg
    Omega-systemz2.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 64
  • Omega-systemz1.jpg
    Omega-systemz1.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Omega-FR2.jpg
    Omega-FR2.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Omega-FR1.jpg
    Omega-FR1.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 66
  • Omega-schematic.jpg
    Omega-schematic.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 64
Hello Guys,
And another version to consider. What can I say it is snowing in north Idaho today.:D So, plenty of time to work on this design. This attempt is taking into account jReave's thoughts on a flatter response. Hopefully, there is no law against 3rd order electrical on both woofer and tweeter.:D I might have tried every conceivable combination known to man in an attempt to achieve a flat response and a 1.7k Xover point. What do you guys think?

Best Regards,
Rich

Attachments

• Omega-schematic.jpg
    Omega-schematic.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Omega-FR1.jpg
    Omega-FR1.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Omega-FR2.jpg
    Omega-FR2.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Omega-sys-z.jpg
    Omega-sys-z.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 30
Hi Lojzek,
What do you think of this version? I just added tank to L1 and changed C1 to 11uf in an attempt to align phase a little better. What would be nice about these designs is I have most all of the components already.:)

Thanks,
Rich

Attachments

• omega-z-V3jpg.jpg
    omega-z-V3jpg.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 25
  • omega-FR2-V3jpg.jpg
    omega-FR2-V3jpg.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 32
  • omega-FR1-V3jpg.jpg
    omega-FR1-V3jpg.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 26
  • omega-schm-V3jpg.jpg
    omega-schm-V3jpg.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 32
Lojzek,
Thanks once again. I'm sure it is going to work out extremely well! I'm not sure how many more speakers I will build. So, to keep this fun hobby going I will keep adjusting the Xovers in the speakers I already have to achieve the sound I'm looking for. On second thought, I may build a subwoofer next winter.:D

Best Regards,
Rich

Hi To All,
I just completed the xovers for the stand mount 2 ways featured in this thread. Attached below is the measurement of the speakers with xovers in place. I also included the simulated design from Xsim for comparison.
Photo 1: measured at 26 inches
Photo 2: measured at 6 feet
Photo 3: Xsim

As can be seen from photo 2, the small room is certainly wrecking havoc on the smoothness of the frequency response.

Best Regards,
Rich

Attachments

• Omega_withxover@26in.jpg
    Omega_withxover@26in.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 69
  • Omega_withxover@6FT.jpg
    Omega_withxover@6FT.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Omega_Xsim1.jpg
    Omega_Xsim1.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 70
Hi Lojzek,
The speakers sound pretty good. Maybe just a touch shy in the bass region. I may have to add a sub woofer to improve the balance of the system. Or it could be I'm looking for a project for next winter.:D The mid range and highs are excellent (no complaints there). Overall I'm extremely pleased how the project has turned out. Thanks so much for your help in designing the xover!

Best,
Rich

giralfino,
That is a good point. It was sure an eye opener for someone new to measurements how your sims can look so nice but soon as real world situations are in play it looks awful. But, I would think that is why so much is mentioned about room treatment on this forum.

Best,
Rich

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.