Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Starting a project with my son
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th January 2018, 02:38 PM   #1
BennyD is offline BennyD  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Starting a project with my son

Good morning everyone!
I've been pondering a project with my 11 year old son and came up with building a set of bookshelf speakers. Now, I want to mention up front that being married and 3 kids puts a damper on things. Price and the wife factor will play a roll. I have built speakers earlier in life and have a degree in electrical science, though some of those brain cells have gone by the wayside! I'll definitely be freshening up!
Ok, on to my question. I plan on building a pair of c notes from PE to start, being driven by an older HK AVR525. My plan is that eventually I'd like to custom build a center channel. The issue is that I'd like to keep the same drivers in the center but build it as an mtm. The midwoofer in the c note kit is only available in 8 ohms. I've heard mixed reviews on if a 4 ohm load would wreak havoc with my receiver. If it will work, I probably could just lower the output by a few dB to match the left/right because it'll be getting more power being a 4 ohm.
I know the tweeter in that kit is 4 ohms and I believe it is modulated down through the crossover. I'll probably have to get rid of that series resistor in my crossover design due to the fact that the midwoofer side is now 4 ohms.
If that is more hassle than what it's worth, are there any suggestions in 4 or 16 ohm drivers that would play well with the c notes to keep my design 8 ohm?.. or am I totally out in left field with this?
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading.
Old 25th January 2018, 02:57 PM   #2
bullittstang is offline bullittstang  United States
diyAudio Member

I would go for - in reality that C-Note as an MTM, would be what most manufacturers would call a 6-ohm speaker and your HK could certainly handle it at moderate volume levels.
Have you searched at the PE Forum (Techtalk) to see if the original designer has done a MTM version. While not posted, you might pose the question on that build thread. You might be surprised that he has, or someone else has done your exact same idea already and would share their results and maybe even the XO design.
Most important - have fun with that 11-yr old and enjoy him wanting to build with you.
Old 25th January 2018, 03:12 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I would but the space they need to go in wouldn't allow it. My house came with an entertainment center built into the wall with a spot for the TV (55-60") in the center, narrow glass door cabinets on either side and a larger shelf on each end. If I did MTM for the l/r, I'd have to lay them down... then I don't think I have enough room to angle them in to get the soundstage right. Since it's the whole wall, floorstanding is out of the picture.
As for the center, I plan on just doubling the size of the eclosure and use 2 ports of the same diameter and length. I'd love to keep these voice matched. I know I'll have to tweak the crossover to keep the points the same. I also know I still have a bunch more research to do. Is there any free crossover design/modeling software out there? I'd like to make sure the impedance doesn't drop too low.
Paul Carmody designed these with PE. I know he designed the OS MTM, but haven't seen any c note MTM's yet.
Thank you for you're quick response and input!
Old 25th January 2018, 03:46 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I think I was confused. Paul did the OS and Chris P did the c-note... I think. Starting a project with my son
Old 25th January 2018, 07:13 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thank you bullittstang! I just got a hold of Chris P. over at Techtalk. He's actually currently working on an MTM and a center channel version of the c-note. Can't wait to see how it turns out!
Old 25th January 2018, 10:32 PM   #6
turk 182 is offline turk 182  Canada
diyAudio Member

not to detract you from your goal of adding to your home entertainment system but if you want a project that would be quick and easy for an 11 year old take a look at the Foamcore thread Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?
there's a few others like " Ever think of building a Cornu Spiral horn? Now you can!"
it can even serve as a "prototype enclosure" for your project but the best thing about it is it's an easy to work with material that doesn't require power tools and is quite inexpensive and if your son loses interest in the project i'm certain he'll find other uses for the foamcore!
Old 25th January 2018, 11:50 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk 182 View Post
not to detract you from your goal of adding to your home entertainment system but if you want a project that would be quick and easy for an 11 year old take a look at the Foamcore thread Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?
there's a few others like "Ever think of building a Cornu Spiral horn? Now you can!"
it can even serve as a "prototype enclosure" for your project but the best thing about it is it's an easy to work with material that doesn't require power tools and is quite inexpensive and if your son loses interest in the project i'm certain he'll find other uses for the foamcore!
That's not a bad idea! I think that may be a phase 2 if my son stays interested. I also have six year old twins, boy, girl.
My sons are definitely into music and share a room that is spiderman themed. I can totally see building a pair, covering them with some spiderman graphic vinyl and hanging them on the wall.
They already have an echo dot in their room in which I could use the output on the back to a small amplifier.... Hmmm
My wife is going to hate me! Lol
Old 26th January 2018, 12:33 AM   #8
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

An MTM should never be laid on its side. All those sideways MTMs you see for centres come from the marketing department, not from the engineers.

dave
Old 26th January 2018, 12:43 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
An MTM should never be laid on its side. All those sideways MTMs you see for centres come from the marketing department, not from the engineers.

dave
That is why I'm going MT for the mains. I knew imaging would be an issue. Didn't know that would be an issue for a center channel though.
Any ideas for the center? I don't have much height to play with...
Old 26th January 2018, 12:48 AM   #10
turk 182 is offline turk 182  Canada
diyAudio Member

if someone is laying on the couch does a sideways MTM make sense?

Starting a project with my sonHide this!Advertise here!