Strange change in bass over volume range

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
First let me tell you that what I did may seem a little strange, but it did play well connected to car stereo...
So I have Philips Woox speakers (6ohm, about 100w), passive radiators had broken membranes, so I changed them out with 6ohm, about 60w speakers from Aiwa NSX-360 system. Boxes still has bass reflex tubes in the back.

First I had these speakers connected to car stereo (each speaker to it`s own channel) and it was playing really good, it sounded like port is still well tuned.

Now I connected Aiwa NSX-360 system to them (rated at 2 x 40w @ 4ohm, but I was driving 200wrms car sub with it once and it did good). I connected two drivers (for each box) in series to get 12ohm load (as far as I know most of the old recievers were capable of driving load up to 16ohm).

Now I have strange problem. When I listed to music at low volume these speakers will produce really low and strong bass, but when I turn volume up this strong bass will turn from "boom boom boom" to "pk pk pk", it`s not distorting, it sounds like some new car stereos where bass automaticly lowers when you turn the volume up...

Can too high impedance cause this?

Thank you for help

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The Aiwa will not produce much power into 12 ohms. It is low ohm loads that cause problems for amplifier, not high.

A high load will simply dissipate less power for a given drive voltage.

These 'music centre' speakers are not particularly robust and so its possible they could be damaged if you have had them on the end of a powerful car amplifier.

Hello,
it was power issue.
I connected speakers parallel and it`s good. I was unsure about connecting 3ohm load to Aiwa (Aiwa have STK chip so yea...)
But thankfully it`s working good, no overheating or protection mode...

I am really lucky that boxes are tuned right (because of changing passive radiator to another woofer).

So I used another amplifier (Homemade with STK 442-090), I had even hijacked the signal from Aiwa so I could use T-BASS function on all the speakers and the resoults are absolutely horrible (with second amp connected thru Aiwa or directly to the computer, amp works good by itself). If I don`t adjust the volume ratio correctly both speakers resonates really bad, even when I adjust the volume it doesn`t sound right.

I will use only Aiwa for now as I don`t plan to drive them at high volume.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.