Loudspeaker parts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A bit of an odd thread really and I've done a bit of searching on this, but it's not easy going.

Does anyone know where you can buy loudspeaker parts from? Specifically parts that you actually build drive units from, baskets, top plates, back plates/pole pieces, cones etc?

There must be loads of generic bits out there I've just no idea where they might actually be!

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Have you looked in trade magazines like Voice Coil? Also, over here we have the Thomas Register which lists all sorts of industrial suppliers in North America(I've seen taiwan,china,etc ads in there, too), there must be something similar over there.
I find surplus bits and pieces on meniscusaudio,dynavox, and a few others, but not enough to make a plan, some coils here, baskets there, etc.

I'll look around this weekend, after I install the new front door(supposed to be above freezing).

p.s. thanks scott-I knew they'd have something at Voicecoil.

You could scour this thread for ideas. I note that the OP is very DIY, but re-used an old basket for his first build:
Project Ryu - DIY Field Coil Loudspeaker

That's what I'd do for experiments and prototyping (anything but mass production, really) - pick up some damaged speakers and re-build just the soft & moving parts. I've messed about with this before, with woofers that were perfectly sized to use soda cans as voice coil formers (energy drinks are 2", normal cans are 3").

A hire place near me is selling a busted Eminence Kappa PRO-15A and similar drivers (with sturdy cast frames) for $5 each. I imagine you could source something similar locally.

I've idly thought about picking some up for experiments - but I know:

a) such a project would be a huge time sucker
b) a professionally built speaker will have a higher BL (more VC wire packed into the same space) than I could manage.

Old Wharfedales look pretty basic / a bit home made. I'm guessing they cast the aluminium baskets themselves.

Could you do the same?

How much gear / workshop space do you have?

Pewter doesn't have the same strength:weight as aluminium, but if weight is no problem, you could potentially cast some speaker parts in your kitchen. High temperature silicone (moulds) and low melt alloys are available at casting supply shops.

Britannia metal - Wikipedia

You could scour this thread for ideas. I note that the OP is very DIY, but re-used an old basket for his first build:
Project Ryu - DIY Field Coil Loudspeaker

Ryu is very impressive! I wish I had easy access to a machine shop ;)

That's what I'd do for experiments and prototyping (anything but mass production, really) - pick up some damaged speakers and re-build just the soft & moving parts. I've messed about with this before, with woofers that were perfectly sized to use soda cans as voice coil formers (energy drinks are 2", normal cans are 3").

I'm more interested in drivers of the 3-6" variety :D

A hire place near me is selling a busted Eminence Kappa PRO-15A and similar drivers (with sturdy cast frames) for $5 each. I imagine you could source something similar locally.

I do have some drivers that I certainly don't mind sacrificing to the cause, pulling drivers to bits isn't easy though :wiz:

Could you do the same?

Absolutely not! ;) It would make far more sense for me to salvage a basket.

How much gear / workshop space do you have?

Nothing for intensive metal work, which is why I was looking for ready made parts to use as an experiment.

One place that professional manufacturers visit.
Dr. Kurt Müller: Dr. Kurt Mueller

That looks interesting, I've just downloaded their catalogue, I wonder if they'll sell to individuals.

Ali Express

Yeah I tried there first, thinking that someone must have surplus parts from a speaker factory but I couldn't really find anything, or at least the obvious search terms came up largely empty.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.