Ambitious? Who knows ... Genesis inspired speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I will echo what wesayso has offered. Like you, my first speaker build was ambitious. They are nearly floor to ceiling line arrays and are the best speakers I've ever heard.

Two caveats. I had some very knowledgeable people here give great advice, and I use an ACTIVE CROSSOVER. Specifically a miniDSP.

I'm about to start my second build of a basic 2-way with a sub and so far I'm finding it to be at least as daunting a task, if not more because I'll be making a passive crossover this time.

IMO, a novice with a limited understanding of what they are doing can achieve surprisingly good results if they employ active/dsp technology.

View attachment 658880

How do you cope with phase difference from fron-bottom to middle ?

I think I will go for an alternative product

DAP DCP-26 MKII digitale crossover
Advantage
- cheaper :p :p
- Distributor close to where I live
- rack mountable
- balanced connection available
- I prefer to have a solution that doesn't require a Windows of Apple computer to configure (I'm a die hard Linux user and minidsp isn't doing much efforts in making an open api or Linux support).

Nice - I also prefer Linux and I understand your choice ;)
Great build - looking forward to see the finished project and read about your impressions :)

As promised ... some updates.

The woofers/mids arrived and are looking quit good. Descent magnet, well build, nice varnished cone, and descent foam surroundings ... I'm aware of the fact that they are foam butt my living room is very stable, there is no direct sunlight to them so they should remain quit some time.

c1.jpg

First of all ... these high pass filters came in, I will use them to test every separate block to make sure everything works and in order to protect my tweeter while testing. They are 12bd at 5500 hz. Good enough for testing after building

c2.jpg

These came in :)

c3.jpg

Test fit ... will be making front panels next weekend. Magnets just fit in the damping ... nice to see everything come togethet nicely You can also see that the space between all modules will be as short as possible while having 2 layers of MDF between them.

c4.jpg

Detailed view ...

Things will go a bit slower for the next steps as it's quit busy at work currently :) hope to find some spare time this week in order to continue. I will keep everybody posted here.

For the finishing ... well I will fill all the screw holes, sand, sand, sand, then primer, soft sanding again and finishing will be done with wheel paint in order to get a champagne like color, finished with one or 2 layers clear paint.

Weekend update

1a.jpg

Added a small part of wood with two clamps with marks in order to make the drilling process faster ... here drilling the banana clamps for the tweeters and woorfers + bass port

1aa.jpg

Drilling can be done in house it doesn't generate lots of dust, vacuum permanent on :)

1b.jpg

How it will look like ... all 32 rear plates are drilled

1e.jpg

scary ... pretty high :p

1f.jpg

31 of 32 modules ... the last module will be featuring a little movie as we make it.

Lots of work has been done
- nearly all foam is in
- all rear ports are drilled
- all bana holes are drilled
- sanded rear panels after drilling
- all top plates glued plus screwed
- all woofer cabling is in

Also had a test run for the finish ... this will be the color. Warm Inox
021.jpg

Tweeters are coming in in the next days then I can start drilling the front panels ... then it will be finishing the cabinets, filler, sanding, primer, 5 to 7 thin layers of paint ... still a lot of work to do :) I try to keep high standards and make sure every step is done well on all 32 pieces.

Another update on my build ... small one this time

h1.jpg

Preparing the front panel

h2.jpg

Overview. Will be drilling one all others will be done with my table router and with a bearing equiped mill

h3.jpg

A friend of mine has cut these damping foams, they will be glued to the tweeter. It seals up the tweeter perfectly with the housing. Have a roll of regular version of this for gluing around my midbass speakers to! It's all in the details.

h4.jpg

Perfect sizes on aliexpress site :) it fits

h5.jpg

little test to make sure size is correct

h6.jpg

First view on things comming together. Didn't use the router as it was already 22h in the evening. It's also very cold (to Belgian standards) currently (-9 degrees celsius ...) not comfy for precision routing outside.

j1.jpg

Nearly all elements came in :) impresive pile of speakerboxes

j2.jpg

New tool for my router. Will be used to finish the cabinets and copy the front panels

j3.jpg

20 mm for copy cutting 18 mm frontplates

j4.jpg

Template done by hand and very very very gentle routing on the routing table

j5.jpg

2 copy's done ... my brother will do the other 29 on wednesday

j6.jpg

Testfit

j7.jpg

Now you get an idea on the distance between the elements. Love the look of it and as they will become an eyecatcher in my livingroom ... I start to be a happy man ;)

More updates will follow ;) as I update more forums I will also update here.

Any updates on this project?

Hello thanks for asking :) yes there is still some progress however I have a very busy times at work currently so progress is rather slow.

What is completed?

I pressed all the wirelooms with connectors + soldered them (just to be sure :p)

Lot's of sanding ... filling ... sanding. My house looks like a loudspeaker factory. Here some pictures:

z01.jpg

hundreds of holes to fill and sand. As it will be spray painted later on it needs to be spot on.

z02.jpg

My living room ... currently (I will call these speakers the divorce reference series :p )

z03.jpg

Tweeter cables with connector ... all 2.5 pure copper hifi cable. Nothing extreme just descent cables (please please please no discussion on cables)

z04.jpg

So ... I have temporary placed elements in 2 modules in order to do a first test. See how they play as a single stereo speaker set, how the response is, how the bass is, how the tweeters sound.

I have had about 20 people who had the chance to listen. Going from my son, to my mom, friends and a few audio lovers. ALL of them are impressed by the performance of the little module. Even the bass is quit ok considering the space and little drivers.

I have no studio or measure stuff so it's pure listening. I currently have set up a passive filter at around 5 khz so way to high :) I will now continue building and finishing the modules ... once that is done I have some money again to buy the dsp :) :) :) :) :)

All together it is a hell of a work to get all 32 modules done. It's not just building a pair of speakers, it's building 16 pairs. I don't want to rush so it takes some time.

I also get quit a lot of bad reactions, hate etc on various forums, facebookpages, etc

What is it about
- distance between the tweeters is too high in oder to form an array at frequences above 15 khz
- riple effect due to MTM setup of the drivers
- shading
- lobing

I tried to listen to everybody, also read a lot about these things and ... how commercial products cope with these things. Time will tell ... will keep posting updates on the project.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.