diysoundgroup tempest 12, glare ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Listening to a video on youtube, a guy compares the fusion 12 tempest to some b&W n803.

Same song, diysoundgroup till 2 minutes, then the b&w.
I hear some type of glare say at 1:40 compared to the b&w at 3:40.
YouTube

I thought I saw some pretty flat measurements the tempest 12 a while ago............

What are your thoughts ?

First speaker: has that "boxy" sound that suggests bare MDF without enough damping material behind the midwoofer. Also, IMHO the speaker is voiced WAY too bright. What your wife called "detail" is excess energy. These issues can probably be rectified with some changes to the crossover and damping material.

The second speaker sounds more like what you expect from a commercial product...

Listening to a video on youtube, a guy compares the fusion 12 tempest to some b&W n803.

Same song, diysoundgroup till 2 minutes, then the b&w.
I hear some type of glare say at 1:40 compared to the b&w at 3:40.
YouTube

I thought I saw some pretty flat measurements the tempest 12 a while ago............

What are your thoughts ?

What you're hearing is the main reason that I generally avoid compression drivers with large diaphragms. Go to augerpro's site and he has measurements that illustrate the issue: those large diaphragms have waterfall plots that are fairly awful.

P1010108.JPG

For a concert venue, I can appreciate the need for a diaphragm that's two inches in diameter. In a concert, you don't care if the waterfall is mediocre, but you DO care if you can generate 130dB in SPL from one tweeter.

But in the home? I'd rather use a smaller diaphragm. And note that I'm not saying it's "fast" or any of that nonsense, I'm simply saying that the waterfall plots of ribbon tweeters, ring radiators and small domes is superior to the 'conventional' large domed compression drivers.

YMMV

Even in the Youtube recording, the B&W tweeter sounds cleaner to me.

Shameless self plug: check out my thread about putting ribbon tweeters on conventional 1" throat horns : Phase Plug for Planars

I'm simply saying that the waterfall plots of ribbon tweeters, ring radiators and small domes is superior to the 'conventional' large domed compression drivers.
ok. how significant in the big picture? i thought ribbons are generally considered mediocre, which is why few even bother making them.
Zaph|Audio

high distortion
aweful polars
limited bandwidth
high price

Very odd topic,

The guy built a 4 way active speaker that you see on the video. On the top is a Fostex super tweeter and he hits the mid 120dB range at his listening position. I'm not aware of any dome tweeter that could do SPL cleanly that high so a moot point.

Granted, it is a Youtube video which is akin to comparing CD players by recording them on 8 track tape.

Patrick,
Can you link to some of threads or posts so I can see some pictures of cd waterfalls?

I'd think the horn would do most of the damage, but the phase plug is a factor too.

My buddy thinks the low compression ratio compression drivers sound better (more relaxed) such as community vhf100 compared to 10:1 ratios.

I own a pair of Tempests and "glaring" is not a term I would use anywhere around it. I take it for granted how smooth they actually are, which is why I have to be careful with the volume control. I really did not expect to like CD/horn.

I rotate between 6 pairs of speakers just for kicks, and every time I come back around to the Tempests, I am reminded of just how clean they actually are. Love the sound of these things. Really difficult to make them fail.

ta32RVT.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.