Tannoy Edinburg speaker crossover upgrade

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I bought a pair of the Tannoy Edinburg speakers from a local owner for a year. It sounds great but the bass is rather weak.

I searched about the news from internet about this speaker and it seems bass is a kind of problem for this speaker.

I checked out the crossover network and drawn the schematic as attached.

I am wondering if someone has experience to enhance the bass performance of this speaker.

Johnny

Attachments

• Tannoy Crossover.pdf
    469.4 KB · Views: 299
Hi Johnny. Whenever one desires to improve on the bass then the first thing would be to evaluate the TS parameters of the unit in free air. This will tell you what you can expect of it. I don't have the data for 3149 but I have measured once a similar driver and because of the high sensitivity the Fs was rather high and this constraint was the dominant factor that made this loudspeaker sound thin. Hypothetically if there was not enough of the baffle step compensation in the original crossover filter factored in, then changing this may improve one bit the sound but otherwise changing the vent length, if feasible, can bring some increase in bass spl.

I'd deal with this issue by experimenting with enclosure positioning and active EQ.

The linked write-up on improving bass of Tannoy Edinburgh appears to be an attempt at improving the sales figures of audiophile parts and third party services.

The misinformation spread by Mr Goodwin is quite shocking.

Especially considering that he is in the Tannoy Yahoo group and so has access to the correct info. Mind you >90% of his participation there is trying to flog his dodgy cables.

Either way the important bit is that the Tannoy DC in question, K3149, has an Fs of 32Hz and a Qts of 0.4 so there should be enough bass if positioned correctly which is near a wall. They are not designed to be used free-standing and there is thankfully no baffle step correction.

However the surrounds have a tendency to harden over time, raising the Fs which leads to lack of bass.

I scanned through that link, got to this bit
My friend’s loudspeaker cables cost over 6,000 USD. But when we fitted my loudspeaker cables the difference was let me say more than noticeable
And realized I won't touch any word on that page with a 10' stick.

I wonder if one could do something like the attached to "improve" bass by dialing down treble?

Attachments

• BassEnhancer.png
    BassEnhancer.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 227
Like all Tannoys of that period they came with the ability to adjust treble intensity and roll off.

Yes, but that's on the high part of the X-over (so doesn't "increase" bass alone). The purpose of the filter I attached above is to decrease the low midrange as well as the treble.

However, I've never done anything like this passively, and I'm not any expert.

I mean a FR like this:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.