High end 2 way bookshelf designs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can you guys point me to some high end 2 way bookshelf designs? I just built some Jeff Bagby Continuums and they are great. I also already own some LS3/5a speakers as well. I need a new thing to obsess over.

This go around I would like to step up in bass ability, SPL etc. A true no holds bar ed. I am sure to get what I want means a reflex cabinet of a bit bigger size but let me know what is already out there that you folks are familiar with.

Thanks

What's so high end in Plutone ?

Large distance between driver centers ?
Too high crossover frequency for such a large midwoofer ?
Extremely generous Xmax of midwoofer (+/-3mm) ?

This would be proper use for JA8008HMQ and maybe can be called high end:

OBL-15

Last edited:
You could build my waves design. I haven't included information about the cabinet, but as long as you keep the cabinet width the same you can do whatever you want with the bass alignment. Both drivers are mounted centrally on the baffle with 132mm C2C distance between the tweeter and woofer. The main cabinet is 167mm wide.

What's so high end in Plutone ?

Large distance between driver centers ?
Too high crossover frequency for such a large midwoofer ?
Extremely generous Xmax of midwoofer (+/-3mm) ?

In theory you are right but I've heard enough excellent speakers that break all the rules above to know that there's a lot of rubbish spouted as facts on the Internet.

This would be proper use for JA8008HMQ and maybe can be called high end:

OBL-15

That's no good. He wants a 2-way bookshelf design.

In theory you are right but I've heard enough excellent speakers that break all the rules above to know that there's a lot of rubbish spouted as facts on the Internet...

Well, how can anyone compete with that

...That's no good. He wants a 2-way bookshelf design.

I kinda noticed, but that was more as what would be proper use for JA8008HMQ - that would be the opposite of Plutone. It was not a build suggestion for the OP. I did that in 4th post of this thread.

Last edited:
World Famous Designer Troels Gravesen developed a well documented Illuminator Monitor using the the ScanSpeak 18WU/8741T00 driver paired with either 7100 or 6600 tweeters. Troels developed two crossovers - time delay circuit and simple lower cost LR2/LR2. These are expensive drivers, but you can price shop for crossover parts. Great cabinet. The Phonar Credo company uses this design with bottom woofers.

Illuminator-Monitor

World Famous Designer Jochim Gerhard developed the Kalasan SB Satori monitor in a well documented thread. Truncated pyramid cabinet for diffraction control. MW16P-8 midbass + TW29R-4 tweeter.... you can swap the lower cost SB29RDC tweeter with little sonic difference.

SB Acoustics Satori Monitor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.